“Beautiful Spot with Great Food”
Review of Ristorante Massimo

Ristorante Massimo
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristorante Massimo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 210 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: State Street
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Located in the basement of a 200 year old Customs Building, this restaurant is beautiful. The menu is creative with several unusual dishes. The appetizers were perfect - duck and cold antipasto. My entrée, monkfish saltimbocca, was perfection but my wife's lobster and the lobster risotto was under seasoned. Dessert ( the trio) was too good to describe. Thy have to learn how to make espresso as 75% of the cup was foam. Only other problem was that despite many servers and busboys standing around, the table was not promptly cleared.
Two small issues but enough to annoy the diner.

1  Thank bankruptcy

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have a second home about 45 minutes away in Kennebunkport,ME. I bought a Living Social offer for a seven course tasting meal that we used tonight. What a wonderful TREAT!!!. Every course was wonderful and we loved the atmosphere and the accoustics were great. We will certainly return again. Our favorite courses were the pasta with peas, bacon and egg. I am not a beef eater but ordered the beef tenderloin course as part of the tasting menu and it was just terrific. The service was great and all the wait staff was attentive and knowledgeable.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place is a hidden gem that needs to be discovered by all.
The Owner himself is the most gracious host I have ever encountered at a restaurant.
He made us feel so welcomed on our first visit there and treated us like family.
The service was excellent and attentive. The ambience and comfort level was perfect.
Each course was brought out and described(we had a tasting menu) and all of the items were prepared with the utmost perfection. I would recommend this place to anyone who enjoys something unique, authentic and delightful all around.
We are from Boston and will definitely make the road trip to come here again.
Thank you Massimo!!!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Great blend of creativity and the freshest local ingredients. Massimo actually introduced my wife and I to their farmer and to say we were impressed would be an understatement. If you want truly local farm fresh food prepared perfectly and creatively, this is the place. Knowing the painstaking work involved in just growing the food, not to mention the kitchen, more than justifies the value. We will be patrons of Massimos again and Sandy Hill Farm!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

First, may I say to the reviewer who complained that a mother was discreetly breastfeeding for a few minutes during their meal.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The infant was quiet, the mother fully covered (by your own description) ,the family was respectful and your dinner was excellent. Yet you dinged the rating because of a mother doing the very best for her child during a family dinner. That attitude disgusts me and I am grateful that Massimo maintains an authentic Italian atmosphere where a mother can tend to an infant and enjoy a night out like she deserves. Anyway, onto the meal. I visited Massimo last summer and had the meal of a lifetime. I so wanted to repeat the experience and thankfully was not disappointed. The atmosphere is so elegant yet comfortable. There were some gentlemen dressed as though they had just come off the golf course but they were treated with the same warmth and hospitality as the formally attired patrons. I honestly think this is one of the things that makes Massimo great. Everyone is welcome and every night is a special occasion. My meal was outstanding. The chef accommodated my shellfish allergy and allowed me to order the specials without shrimp. My filet was perfection. My dessert, pineapple upside down cake, was a little slice of heaven in a tiny cast iron skillet. Massimo is Italian elegance blended with old Portsmouth. You are made to feel like royalty regardless of attire (although business casual feels fitting but honestly it doesn't matter). Very generous in portions which is often lacking in high end establishments. Basically it is everything you ever wished fine dining could be. Massimo told us they are expanding to the upstairs this summer. I'll still want to dine in the stone basement because I adore it but I can't wait to see the expansion. I hate the trendy restaurants that have infiltrated every seacoast town who think they are fine dining simply by putting goat cheese on everything. Thank goodness we have Ristorante Massimo.