“Unbelievable! Best in Portsmouth”
Review of Ristorante Massimo

Ristorante Massimo
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristorante Massimo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: State Street
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Great blend of creativity and the freshest local ingredients. Massimo actually introduced my wife and I to their farmer and to say we were impressed would be an understatement. If you want truly local farm fresh food prepared perfectly and creatively, this is the place. Knowing the painstaking work involved in just growing the food, not to mention the kitchen, more than justifies the value. We will be patrons of Massimos again and Sandy Hill Farm!

There are newer reviews for Ristorante Massimo

Reviewed June 6, 2013

First, may I say to the reviewer who complained that a mother was discreetly breastfeeding for a few minutes during their meal.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The infant was quiet, the mother fully covered (by your own description) ,the family was respectful and your dinner was excellent. Yet you dinged the rating because of a mother doing the very best for her child during a family dinner. That attitude disgusts me and I am grateful that Massimo maintains an authentic Italian atmosphere where a mother can tend to an infant and enjoy a night out like she deserves. Anyway, onto the meal. I visited Massimo last summer and had the meal of a lifetime. I so wanted to repeat the experience and thankfully was not disappointed. The atmosphere is so elegant yet comfortable. There were some gentlemen dressed as though they had just come off the golf course but they were treated with the same warmth and hospitality as the formally attired patrons. I honestly think this is one of the things that makes Massimo great. Everyone is welcome and every night is a special occasion. My meal was outstanding. The chef accommodated my shellfish allergy and allowed me to order the specials without shrimp. My filet was perfection. My dessert, pineapple upside down cake, was a little slice of heaven in a tiny cast iron skillet. Massimo is Italian elegance blended with old Portsmouth. You are made to feel like royalty regardless of attire (although business casual feels fitting but honestly it doesn't matter). Very generous in portions which is often lacking in high end establishments. Basically it is everything you ever wished fine dining could be. Massimo told us they are expanding to the upstairs this summer. I'll still want to dine in the stone basement because I adore it but I can't wait to see the expansion. I hate the trendy restaurants that have infiltrated every seacoast town who think they are fine dining simply by putting goat cheese on everything. Thank goodness we have Ristorante Massimo.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We had dinner in this restaurant last night. I was delighted to find that this is one of the best restaurants in which I have had the pleasure to dine. I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in the world. Enuff said. The veal chop was perfectly seasoned and cooked exactly as I ordered. Fiddleheads came with dinner and were delicious. The wine was suburb. Service was impeccable.

This is not your normal Italian restaurant. Do not expect pasta with red sauce. Also it does have good atmosphere even though it is in a basement. Decor highlighted with dark woods.

Try it. You will like it. Price was not bad.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Celebrated my husband's 50th birthday with friends and family. Fantastic food and staff that made the occasion very special. Highly recommend.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I went on our 25 Anniversary. Our meals where great. You can tell they take time to make your meal great. It is a nice little place.