“A perfect stay with the family!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
California
“A perfect stay with the family!”
Reviewed January 14, 2010

My family and I were staying at the Homewood while we were picking up my child from UNH. The Homewood is only 15 minutes away from the campus and right near downtown Portsmouth, a great location! My family and I enjoyed all the facilities the Homewood had to offer and our room was exceptionally clean. The gentlemen at the front desk, although a student, was extremely knowledgeable and helpful about Portsmouth including, restaurants. He also recommended us some great places to visit while we were in town! They even had a shuttle that could take you all around Portsmouth which was great!
The staff was friendly and it was an overall wonderful stay. I would recommend it to all.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank GCRTPO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Tn
Reviewed October 12, 2009

When I made the reservation, as always, I ask to speak to the manager to try to negotiate the rate when we are staying in excess of two weeks. First I checked the price on line. $129 was the 'best rate' for an overnight stay. The person I spoke to on the phone said that was the best price no matter how long we stayed. I booked the reservatations on line. We arrived sometime after 2 am. I asked for an upgrade, I was informed that the room we were getting was an up-grade. ??? it was the same room that I booked on-line. First thing in the morning the manager calls, and calls, and calls, trying to convince me this one bedroom suite I booked on line for this price is an up-grade, and a break in the price. yes I am from Tennessee, but I am far from stupid.
The rooms are nice sized and very comfortable. The housekeeping staff went out of their way to make the stay comfortable. The meals prepared downstairs on week nights were nicely presented and tasty, however, breakfast, I have now heard every excuse for being repeatedly under stocked. From today is delivery day to someone filled up their back pack with the food. YES, I will pay $129 a night to horde a backpack full of breakfast. It has to be my southern accent. BUY SOME FOOD if your going to offer it. Evening social hour, no free beer and wine here. You can however buy a canned coke to go with your meal for $1.50. The laundry facility has 6 dryers (3 broken) and 3 washers ( one broken) One man said it has been broken the the month and a half he has been here. The line for laundry is comparible to the line to make a waffle with the ONE waffle iron offered for breakfast.
SO, we do have our yings and yangs with this property.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
NButcher, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth, responded to this review, October 22, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,

I read your review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us at the Portsmouth Homewood Suites. I would like to take this time to address your concerns.

I am glad to hear that you were happy with our housekeeping service during your stay. Our housekeepers do take pride in their work and do their very best to ensure that they deliver exceptional service to each and every guest.

I appreciate your comments about dinner and breakfast. It is nice to hear that you were happy with the dinner presentation while you were here. I do apologize that we do not offer complimentary beer and wine during our evening social. We do have a liquor license that prohibits us from offering that service.

As for breakfast, I am truly sorry that it was not up to par. We, as a team, are working to eliminate that particular problem. We do try to maintain an ample amount of food available to our guests. Unfortunately, we have run in to some issues with adequate stock of breakfast items. I am also reviewing our daily menus and we are currently in the process of changing our selections to better accommodate our guests’ needs.

Both the maintenance staff and I have also looked into the issue with the washers and dryers. We have found that one washer and one dryer were disabled. They have both been fixed.

It is our goal to make your visit a pleasant one which meets your expectations. I am sorry that this experience did not turn out the way you had planned and that we were unable to meet your expectations. I hope we will have another opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Please feel free to call when you decide to return to Portsmouth. I will personally take care of your reservations and ensure that your stay lives up to your expectations. Thank you for your understanding, and we hope to see you again soon. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Have a wonderful day!

Beth Curry, General Manager
Ellenwood, GA
Reviewed September 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night, and what a relaxing night it was. It was so peaceful. The rooms were beautiful. The front desk staff was kind, friendly and very helpful. This was our first time in the state, so they told us where all the good shopping was and the best places to eat. We were 2 miles from Maine, so of course we visited there as well. I would definitely stay there again, and will definitely tell friends and family.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Quebec
Reviewed August 31, 2009

What a beautifull hotel, we went there with 2 teen and another family with kids also. They made sure that are room was verry close to each other, Staff at the front desk (Russel) was very friendly. since we were 8 we use the convinient shuttle to go out (10 miles around) the huttle was always ready in 10 minutes, Thanks to Mike and Will who always made a trip in shuttle verry pleasant. The housekeeping team (Amber & Charlotte) who were verry attentive to us even put our dishes in the diswasher when we forgot to do it...It was also very convienient to have a big fridge, microwave and stove in the room with the kids.
The only thing I will change is the matress in the sofa bed:( it is not comfortable for grown ups....
Thank you again for the wonderfull week...
RG

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2009

We spent 4 days the week of august 7. We had a studio suite, for 3 people (spouse, myself & 4 year old). The hotel is located near I-95, but far enough that you do not hear it,. Very easy to access, from highway. It is located in a business/residential area. There is a mall nearby for grocery shopping and farther down the road several larger malls such as fox run. We arrived 3 hours before check in, but there weren't any rooms available, we were offered a phonecall once it was ready. We just decided to do some sight seeing. We returned 3 hours later & our room was ready. Staff was very friendly upon check in. The room was very clean and we had no issues with pillows or towels. The cleaning staff was very friendly and did an excellent job. The breakfast that is included is very extensive, eggs, sausage, bagels, cereals etc. Food was always available and had attentive staff, ensuring it was clean and stocked. A supper buffet is also offered, it had one item with vegetables, we did not try it. We loved the location, in that you are a 5 minute drive downtown ( it is not in walking distance unless you are in good shape), easy access to I-95, to maine and beaches to the south.. The pool is average in size, and well stocked with towels. We used it everyday, and were the only ones in it, though it is cold. The exercise room had half decent equipment, though I did not use it. It has a business center with free access to the internet & printer. This was our first time in the area and would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank agac
MD
Reviewed July 26, 2009

This hotel is beautiful for the price. Full kitchen, very clean, updated decor. The hum of the a/c helped to reduce the noise from other rooms. It is about a mile from town (hence the low prices if you shop around). My daughter thought the pool was small (~the size of a back yard inground pool) and no hot tub. There is a gym with Precor brand (nice) treadmills etc. and a long, private dog excersize area behind the hotel (though no fence). There is a free shuttle to town if you need it, though we did not use this feature. We enjoyed the Portsmouth historical channel on the flat screen tv at night, walked to a neighborhood playground at the end of the parking lot. Great breakfast bar and week day dinner buffet, good for picky kids and alot of variety. Staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank dsajill
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Always the same at Homewood suites. Nothing all that fancy, but good/friendly service, and a very clean and spacious room. Unlike the other reviewer, I didn't look behind and under the furniture :>, but who does? Stayed for two nights. They say its a mile from downtown, but that's a bit of a stretch. If you want to go downtown, you're driving or taking the complimentary shuttle. People also seemed to like the free evening snack and breakfast, but we didn't partake. Couldn't beat the rate as opposed to the ones directly downtown, as we saved close to $200 over two nights. Portsmouth is a great area. Free wi-fi too.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple