“Great facilities”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed one night at the Homewood Suites, and were impressed by the facilities and layout. The room was big, with a separate kitchenette and living area. The decor was pretty standard chain hotel, but new, clean and comfy. The kitchenette is well equipped with a hob and microwave, huge fridge and dishwasher. We cooked our own meals, but there is a complimentary breakfast provided. We also used the gym, which is small but has all the basics. The only negative things to say about this place is that the location is not ideal, as it is some way from downtown, and the guys swigging beer from the bottle by the entrance as we arrived were a bit off putting. But it is excellent value for money, and very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 12, 2008

My family and I stayed at his hotel over Memorial Day Weekend (Sat. & Sun. nights). The hotel is new, and the grounds and lobby area were nice and well maintained. Check-in was smooth, and we got a decent rate of $179/night (pre-tax), which included free buffet breakfast on Sunday and Monday morning.

The suite was fine, although a little smaller than I expected. It had a living area with a large TV and a desk area, a comfortable chair, and a fold out bed where my two sons slept. There was also a well equipment kitchen area with full size frig (didn't use much, as we ate out). The separate bedroom/bath area was also fine, with a king sized bed for me and my husband.

Can't really site any complaints,everything was adequate. The only small issues I can think of were a broken towel hook on the back of the bathroom door, and some popcorn on the floor in the hallway that was never vacuumed. I did have to call the front desk twice the first night to request a non-feather blanket for the king bed (I am allergic). Luckily, the pillows were foam. I was worried about my allergies bothering me (I am also allergic to dust mites and mold) as they usually do in hotels, but I was fine, maybe because the hotel is relatively new. My kids enjoyed the small indoor pool.

The free buffet style breakfast was mediocre, but I wasn't expecting much. It is basically a self serve set up. Toaster didn't work that well, and the hot items (eggs, meat) were only slightly warm. They did have a make-your-own-waffle station that we enjoyed. I didn't really appreciate the large screen TV in the breakfast area, though (distracting!).

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. Just be aware that it is not in the downtown area, and you need to drive to get the shopping and other area attractions. I guess there is a shuttle service, but we did not use it (we are from southern NH). We enjoyed several restaurants in the area, including the Blue Mermaid and Warren's in Kittery. I would highly recommend the whale watch out of Rye Harbor (Granite State Whale Watch).

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank sharkfam07
Reviewed December 3, 2007

The hotel is located in a very quiet and green surrounding, somewhat outside the city. It is a short drive from the highway, just two or three traffic lights from the exit of I-95. The entrance looks very nice; the lobby has comfortable seating and many local ornaments.

Check-in went smooth and we really appreciated the attention for Diamond Hilton members, we were given an upgrade to a 2-bedroom suite. When we walked to our room, everything was top-class, the carpets, the elevators, the halls with very attractive pictures of Portsmouth and New Hampshire. (A very nice touch, in most every other hotel you will find the usual stuff.)

Our suite was just fantastic, beautiful decorated and top quality furniture. We had a huge bedroom with two doubles and a bathroom next to it and a smaller bedroom with a King and bathroom. We didn’t use the bedroom with the two doubles, in fact we closed the door. Our King bedroom was lovely; it had a blue wall and nice bedding on a very comfortable bed. The living area had a sofa and easy chair. Everywhere in the suite there were also nice pictures of Portsmouth, the harbor and the sea.

The kitchen was fantastic with full size refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher. I liked the stove with four burners and oven, now I could prepare gourmet meals. (There is a small shop inside, for more groceries there is a supermarket a short drive away.) Although all tableware was available, we couldn’t find the pots and pans. I called the front desk and within 10 minutes they brought the items. When we had finished our dinner, I looked at the stove and saw that what we thought would be a front panel was in fact a drawer with the pots and pans. So, I went downstairs to the front desk and made my apologies to cause the extra work.

Service of the staff was just great, not only with bringing ‘missing’ items but also for example when I returned with my luggage cart an employee immediately took over. Everyone was very friendly during our two stays.

Breakfast was delicious, from fruit, yoghurt, cereals, bagels, bread and so on till scrambled eggs, one morning there were even three choices of hot items.

Because we mentioned on our first visit that we had already made a reservation for a stay one week later, they said they would make it possible to have the same room on our second stay as well. And they kept their promise, not only I could see on the Internet that they changed my reservation from a 1-bedroom suite into a 2-bedroom suite (I think in this suite the kitchen and living area is somewhat more spacious, but I am not 100% sure), we also were given the same room on the 4th floor. Service and attention is fantastic (and for what I have seen and noticed not only for Diamond Hilton members).

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BA-traveler
Reviewed August 30, 2007

New hotel. Great staff, free breakfast and dinner Monday through to Thursday.

Location, a bit out of town, however, free bus.

Fantastic room, we had a suite for our party of six. Good rate, worked out at $299 per night, which for 2 adults and 4 teenages inc breakfast was spot on.

With hindsight, we would have stayed her another night on our trip around New England.

Would recommend without doubt. Also, 10 mins up the interstate road are a good selection of discount malls in Maine.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed at the Homewood in Portsmouth from July 15-20. We prefer Homewood Suites because of the 2 bedroom suite that can handle our party of six. This Homewood is a newer hotel with a nice, big reception area for the breakfast and evening light meal. The pool and exercise area were perfect. The hotel itself is located away from the busy parts of town near a subdivision/business park. This made it very quiet at night. You are, however, just minutes from downtown for the sites or a shopping area for supplies (the rooms have kitchens).

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Golden06
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Based on previous Tropadvisor.com reviews, I selected this property for a one night stay. The previous reviews were accurate and I was not disappointed.

Check-in was great: quick, courteous, professional. The clerk gave me the best hotel briefing I ever had, within one minute I knew everything I needed to know about the property.

The one bedroom suite was simply fantastic. Clean, large, it even smelled like a new house with cedar closets. I couldn't have asked for a better room in this hotel.

Breakfast was also great, although we checked in after the complimentary light dinner.

Checkout was a breeze through the TV system.

Hi speed internet worked great as well.

I did a lot of research on this hotel since a previous stay in Portsmouth--made without benefit of Tripadvisor.com was a disaster. I'm not staying anywhere without checking on Tripadvisor.com now.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank uigedail
Reviewed July 20, 2007

This hotel has everything you need. Spacious rooms with full kitchen and living room. Everything was clean and every employee friendly. 1 mile from downtown Portsmouth and four miles from the outlets in Kitery. Stay here!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple