“Another Comfortable, Lovely Homewood ” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth

Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Baltimore, Maryland
“Another Comfortable, Lovely Homewood ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

One-bdrm suite -- roomy living rm/ kitchenette (hoped for a bit more space in bdrm) with all amenities needed for brief or long stay.

Spacious lodge & kitchen area served
standard quality Homewood breakfast & evening meals. (Healthier options & variety always hoped for/appreciated.)

Convenient laundry room, exercise room, & comfortable seated business center with computer & printer (essential for longer stays).

Closer to Pease Airport than downtown historical/tourist area.

Overall *beautiful* Homewood in relaxing setting.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank gnomemoss
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip up to Portsmouth. I’m glad you were able to enjoy our amenities, services and overall accommodations; your kind words in your recent review are essential to keeping our hotel running smoothly and our staff motivated to provide exceptional service. Thank you again for choosing to stay at the Homewood Suites in Portsmouth, we hope to see you again soon!

Chris Ritchie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

I'm not one to write reviews, actually this is my first one.
My husband and I were just so thrilled with the level of hospitality at this hotel that we felt we needed to share our experience with other travelers. The staff was a pleasure, room was Extremely Clean and Modern. The complimentary shuttle to and from downtown Portsmouth was great! We would call the front desk and our ride would arrive within minutes. We were looking for a particular sporting event on tv and the woman from the front desk did some research and called us back immediately with the correct channel. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better we were served a complimentary breakfast the morning we left...everything from yogurts, homefries, eggs, sausage, bagels, make your own waffle station... It was all DELICIOUS!!!!
We would DEFINITELY use this hotel again! -
- A Very Happy Customer, Boston, MA

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for not only choosing to stay with us at the Homewood Suites Portsmouth, but thank you as well for writing your first review about your wonderful stay here! A review such as yours gives our staff a great deal of pride and sense of accomplishment to know that all of their hard work is very much appreciated. Our entire team here prides themselves on having every guest arrive at the hotel to experience a relaxing, comfortable, and enjoyable stay. It is great to hear that your stay was exactly that! Thank you again for choosing to stay at the Homewood Suites Portsmouth and we hope you choose to stay with us again when you venture up from Boston!

Gloucester, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

I called the hotel and got a rate, $89, for a jr. suite. It was a great rate so I called back within the hour to book the room for the following (Thursday) night. The same clerk answered the phone but told me now the price is $109 per night. Surprise! I wanted to pay cash, so I asked him twice if that included tax. He assured me it did. The following day, before arrival, I had a pressing issue that needed me to travel home that night. I called to switch my reservation to the following night. The girl on the desk told me she'd have to charge my credit card for the entire amount since I was "canceling" with less than 24 hours notice. I just wanted to switch to the following night, not cancel. But, I managed to stay that night anyway because I didn't want to lose the money. Upon check-in, I was now told that I owed $118 (3rd price in 24 hours!). I had exactly $120 on me. NOT happy! I explained what I'd been quoted but the clerk gave a weak "too bad, so sad" type response. I've stayed in almost every hotel in the area and I've been treated much better by the clerks at the Motel 6 down the street!

My room was excellent, my bed was extremely comfortable, room was spotless, there was no noise, breakfast was OK, nothing spectacular, but edible. Oh, and the dinner that night was hot dogs and hamburgers! Really! For a $118/night hotel you serve hot dogs and hamburgers. Ripoff.

But, due to the desk staff, I'll never stay here again. Definitely not worth the hassle and aggrevation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dit D
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay! Here at the Homewood Suites Portsmouth, we pride ourselves on an exceptional experience, right from the initial phone call to our Front Desk all the way until check out at your departure. Thank you as well for your positive feedback on the hotel’s cleanliness and comfortable layout, our staff is always working hard to provide the best experience possible. I want to apologize for the initial confusion you experienced when you were making your reservation, and although I cannot say for certain why the rate was different when you called back, I can explain that our occupancy and availability can change very quickly. Being in a location such as Portsmouth, there is often a high demand for our rooms and frequently our availability of a suite may either sell out or come close to selling out, with that our rates will sometimes change due to demand. I have already spoken with our Front Desk team to remind them of the importance of not only explaining our rates and availability to our future guests, but also the need to explain the room and tax breakdown. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I hope that you decide to stay with us again in the future!

Hartford, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

Planned ahead and booked a deal found on Travel Zoo for $89.00 a night on weekends until March 31. The weather was outstanding, setting a new high(80) temperature on St. Patrick's Day and allowing us to enjoy all the downtown activities Portsmouth has to offer. First, at check in, our reservation could not be located in the Hilton system due to technology issues. This meant a delay in getting our room. After some searching, I found my confirmation number at the same time the desk clerk found my reservation. She apologized for the delay and offered a free cocktail from the beverage center. The room itself was fine and very clean. Can't beat the all suite properties as they are complete with microwave, refrigerator, dishwasher and sink. Requested a high floor and it was granted without a problem. We enjoyed a nice quiet night's sleep and a free hot breakfast in the morning. We really liked the complimentary shuttle to downtown until 10:30 pm. Makes enjoying an extra beer at Portsmouth Brewing Co worry free without the concern about driving. Overall, the staff was friendly, the room clean and the location along with the price too good to pass up. Please offer this discounted rate again, it will bring us back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Bedford, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

After checking in, I had a few hours to kill, so I read all of the reviews on Trip Advisor for Homewood Suites in Portsmouth. I noticed several recurring themes over the past year's reviews, so I kept an eye out for them. Here's what I found:

1. Slow Internet Access: I hate slow internet access and was concerned to read that this was a problem here. So I fired up speedtest.net and took a measurement. 30 mbps. That's fast! That's better than I get on Fios at home. But maybe it was a fluke. So I tested compulsively the whole time we were there, at every hour of the day and night, in two different rooms, in the lobby and in the parking lot. There's no signal in the parking lot. But everywhere else I got 30 mbps consistently. The slowest I ever recorded was 28 mbps, but running the test a second time product 30 mbps on the nose. It seems that they have fixed this problem

2. Bad breakfast: Prior complaints focused on the eggs, the service, the long lines for the waffle maker and the lack of variety. Here's what I found

- Eggs were acceptable. Nothing exciting, but my wife and I both found them acceptable, if a little boring. Mind you, we were paying close attention because I planned to write a review.

- Service: The girl running breakfast on the first day was efficient and very polite. She was very courteous when navigating among the breakfast-goers, and responded to questions and requests promptly. On the second day, the guy running breakfast was struggling to keep up with the demand. He was moving in and out of the kitchen at a breakneck pace and didn't seem to be catching up. But to his credit, he didn't slow down, and although the supply of plates and food occasionally dwindled, nothing every quite ran out. He didn't slow down or drop the ball, so I'd say that they could use one more staffer on the breakfast buffet, to keep up with peak traffic.

- Waffle makers: The waffles are good, and it's no wonder there can be a line. They've added a second waffle maker, which kept the wait down to about 3-5 minutes during peak traffic. One more wouldn't hurt, but it's hardly a problem with 2.

- Variety: There were pastries, breakfast cereals, eggs, breakfast meats, some other egg dish, hash browns, fruit, waffles (with delicious toppings) and various drinks. I was fine with this. I wouldn't expect much more from a hotel breakfast that was included with the room.

3. Room quality: There were a few reviews complaining for room quality and cleanliness (one with mildew or something). We stayed in two rooms (first a studio, then a suite) and found both to be clean and well prepared. I was happy with both.

All things considered, I'd stay there again, and would be willing to recommend this place to a friend. It was a fun, relaxing stay, with good waffles and fast internet. What more can you really ask for?

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Scott L
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
First and foremost I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Homewood Suites in Portsmouth! But more importantly, thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property!
Your review of our property, along with all of the reviews found on this site, are very important to our staff and our leadership team in ensuring that all of the areas that play a role in a guest's experience are comfortable and keep them coming back. After making some significant improvements throughout the numerous departments of our hotel, we are pleased to learn that we have successfully alleviated some of the key issues. That being said, your critique also pointed out some areas that need some additional attention, and I can assure we have already begun working to solve some of the specifics you mentioned. I want to thank you again for your review on our hotel and we all hope to see you and your family again here soon!

Litchfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

We have been coming to the Kittery - Portsmouth area for years. We finally decided to try the Homewood Suites by Hilton. It was wonderful. The room was very nice. Nice size kitchen, living room and bath bedroom. Rooms were clean and housekeeping, was wonderful. Thank you Amber. Staff was terrific. Sara was great. So friendly and accomodating. The hotel has a pool and is dog friendly. Breakfast was good. Lots of pastry, cereal, eggs and sides, yogurts, waffles and breads. My only complaint of the whole weekend was the fact that a hotel this size, only has 1 two slice toaster oven that didn't work. So many complaints on Saturday and Sunday, I felt sorry for the staff. Kerry Ann in the kitchen was wonderful. Very friendly and apologetic to all. She really tried to accomodate with what they had to make the guest feel better. We will stay here all the time now when we travel to this area which is every two months. Thanks again everyone at the Homewood Suites for a great weekend stay.

Room Tip: ask for what you want be it quiet, the location, etc.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Homewood Suites in Portsmouth! But more importantly, thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property! It is always great to hear feedback like yours! Here at the Homewood, we take critiques and guest responses very seriously and share those details with our entire staff. By doing this we are not only able to find areas that need extra attention, like the toaster and breakfast experience, but we are also able recognize our team members that go above and beyond as you mentioned, like Amber, Keri Anne and Sarah. Thank you again for your response and we hope to see you again soon here at the Homewood Suites in Portsmouth!

Virginia Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

Stayed there for an extended period. Check in was smooth and quick. It was for the most part clean except the fact that I found an earplug under the side of the bed that did not belong to us. There was also hair and dust behind the top of the bed. The room was a king suite with full kitchen with granite countertops and laminate flooring. The hotel was clean. I had issue with the use of the laundry being so expensive. Not all the machines were in working order and they were dirty. The staff was for the most part friendly, just not too personable. The kitchen staff didn't have much to say to anyone and it seems as if they watched everything that you put on your plate. Even though the food was free for Breakfast daily and for dinner reception Mon.-Thurs., the food left much to be desired. The food was tasteless and rubbery. It was obviously processed and most time overcooked. It also lacked variety. Having stayed at other Hilton properties with both food amenities, this came way under the bar of Hampton Inn. Much more thought could be taken into the menu and the cooking process. The business center was a nice amenity by should have had more than one computer. I had issue with the wireless internet in my room and had to use the ethernet. The shuttle was appreciated but it was in poor condition that was not available for the demand. Also they would drop you off and couldn't return to get you from down the street for a very long time. Check out was effortless.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent response about your stay here at the Homewood Suites in Portsmouth! I cannot thank you enough for taking the time and sharing the experience you had while staying with us. Our leadership team and staff pride ourselves on delivering an exceptional level of service and a comfortable experience for all of our guests; clearly with your stay we missed the mark. We have already begun looking into each of the specific areas that need more focus from our staff and are working to improve these areas for our future guests. I encourage you to come back to stay with us soon.Thank you again.

Chris Ritchie,