“The Perfect Choice”

Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My daughter and I were in search of a place to eat after a long ride with lots of traffic. I keep gluten free and often have difficulty with Menus. This was perfect, so welcoming, food delicious, bet Martini and the music was wonderful. I highly recommend this place, fun but peaceful what a great combination. The food was real,unprocessed and delicious blend of flavors.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I dine out each Friday,and are always looking for new restaurants to try. We strayed south to Portsmouth, from our usual dinners in Portland and we were not disappointed. We made reservations, which were recommended on the website and were quickly and kindly helped by Alana. It was she who greeted us at the door and, though we were about 10 minutes early for our reservation,we were quickly shown to our table. The atmosphere was very nice and comfortable, very tastefully decorated. Our waitress, Katie was prompt to our table and took wonderful care of us. We started with the local mussels which had wonderful flavor, and a couple Martha's Vineyard oysters with a wonderful strawberry champagne sidecar. My first time with an oyster and it was fabulous!! Our meals were delicious, though my steak was not cooked enough, which Katie quickly took care of, and when the meal returned it was cooked correctly and was on a brand new plate with all new potatoes and vegetables. The young woman who was running food was friendly, and engaging. The team of waitstaff, hostess, and bartender all worked seemlessly together to make a great team. For dessert we had the chocolate mousse and it was delicious! We left feeling full, but as though we had just had a wonderful, yet decadent home cooked meal. This restaurant was a true find and we will definitely be returning!!! Kudos to the owner for such a wonderful place.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We sat at the bar which was very nice and comfortable. I had a blueberry martini which was very good, but not the best I have ever had. We split the spinach artichoke dip which was also very good. I had the monkey burger with fries which was just delicious. My boyfriend had salmon which he said was good. The owner was around and was very friendly. The bartender was nice, but seemed a bit distant and not happy. Overall we enjoyed a good meal and will probably go back at some point.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stopped here after outlet shopping in Maine; me and the girls had heard that if you want a decent martini (outside of boston..;) ) you should stop in here...we were not disappointed...tasty tasty....got the key lime, opted for just a dirty one afterwards, but only because the key lime martini is just so..dangerous!!! so, we had drinks...a couple apps to top it off. I would like to come back here and give a full dinner a try...the menu selection looked YUMMY!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I live in Portsmouth and very much enjoy dining out in our rich selection of restaurants. My friend and I had been looking forward to visiting The Green Monkey as it has a very good reputation. We knew it would be on the expensive side but we thought it would definitely be worth it. I am now regretting not complaining the night we dined there, which was Friday, June 14th. We started off with "spoons", small tapas-like dishes presented on a ceramic spoon. One was fish and chips, which was decent, and the the other was a scallop in such a hot, spicy sauce that the shellfish was totally overwhelmed and flavorless. We also shared an artichoke dip which was good. Then we shared an entree of hanger steak with rosemary fries. The fries were the best part of the night. The steak was truly terrible and incredibly tough. I am still trying to understand why a) it was so bad and b) I didn't say something. For dessert we had Napoleons (spelled "Napolean" on the menu) which were OK but dry. To conclude I will not be adding this restaurant to my list of favorites.