“Good bar”

Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Seems most people come for the bar as it was packed more than the dining room.
They had very good rolls to begin the meal, but they were served cold. Heating them in the oven would have made them delicious. Appetizers are small. Wait staff is slow. Food is good. They make their own ice cream. That was delicious.
Tables are close together so there isn't much privacy.

emberbor
Hi, and thank you for your review. I at The Green Monkey love all feedback. Our bar is know for martinis and has been voted the #1 martini bar for 4 years running in Portsmouth, glad you got to experience it. Thanks for the feedback on the rolls, I always heated them until we were informed by our local baker that heating them dries them out due to the water content of the smaller individual ciabatta roll they make for me daily. Next time you are in I would be glad to warm the bread for you , just let your server know. My apologies for slow service, that is not the norm at The Monkey. The dining room is small and has an open concept due to the floor size, I do have table #9 that can be requested for privacy. Just let me know when you make your reservation. Thanks again for the feedback.
Deb

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My boyfriend took me to the Green Monkey for my birthday. It was by far the best food I have had. He had a roasted beef dish that was glazed in a Bourbon blueberry sauce (so good) and I have pan-seared sea scallops in a glaze. Absolutely incredible. The owner of the restaurant was out in the open to help serve which you don't see much these days. When she heard it was my birthday she brought over a complimentary dessert. I cannot even describe how amazing it was! The restaurant is very small so I'd recommend reservations.

Meredith V
Thank you and I am very pleased you had an awesome birthday at The Green Monkey. You are so welcome for the dessert. I want to say "Thank You" for the great review and I look forward to seeing you again .
Enjoy!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Ate at the Green Monkey last evening to celebrate my husband's birthday. Because I have many dietary limitations restaurant dining can be a challenge. Not so here. They easily worked with me to find and or create an appetizer and entree that I could eat AND that was something different than my usual fare. (Frequently I have to order steak and steamed veggies and that's all the restaurant is willing to do to accommodate.) The food was not only well cooked, and creatively displayed but the portions were ample. When our dessert turned out not to have been thoroughly cooked (an apple crisp type thing where the apples were almost raw), even though my husband had eaten it, the restaurant still did not charge us for the dessert. This restaurant seems intent on providing excellent service and not at an overwhelmingly high price! Highly recommend! A memorable birthday dinner.

Hi PortsmouthJola
Thank you for celebrating your husbands birthday with us.I am pleased that with your diet you were able to enjoy the talents of my culinary team. They work very hard and really enjoy what they do, they also understand that dining means being aware of food allergies and dietary restrictions. We will always accomadate any food requests and strive to give our guests a memorable experience when you dine at The Green Monkey. We appreciate your great review.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I discovered the Green Monkey years ago. I love EVERYTHING about it!!! The atmosphere is trendy and fun. It has a nice friendly bar and on most any night is busy with locals and tourists alike having a great time. But beyond the atmosphere, the food is absolutely fantastic. I have had different items on the menu, but the Espresso Roasted Filet was out of this world. Of course with that I usually get the Espresso Hazelnut Martini. You just cant beat that combination. On top of the fantastic cuisine is tremendous service. The staff has ALWAYS been friendly and extremely attentive to our needs. And every time I go in the owner Deb always stops by to see how we are doing. I love the Green Monkey and I know you will too.

Pete G
Thank you for loving everything about The Green Monkey and thank you for the awesome review. I look forward to stopping by and saying hello next time you are in. Thanks again

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We just love the delicious food, the fabulous cocktails, and the romantic ambiance. Please when you are in Portsmouth, you must go to the Green Monkey.