“Warm, caring, world class!”
Review of Green Monkey - CLOSED

Green Monkey
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We are never disappointed on our monthly visits to the Green Monkey in Portsmouth. Deb Weeks welcomes everyone like long lost friends. Last night, we saw that love extends deep into the kitchen when creative associate chef Taylor explained each of his creations in a special Bourbon Dinner event. Each course exploded with flavor and was perfectly paired with an elegant Bourbon based concoction. The food is always superb at the Green Monkey, and the clientele is always the best of the New Hampshire Seacoast. And we do hope these special dinner events continue.

Deb W, Owner at Green Monkey, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Christine Thank You :-). Always a pleasure seeing the two of you. The Bourbon Dinner was fun and exciting for us to do as well. I am very proud of my culinary team and yes Chef Taylor did an amazing job. Thank you both for being part of it and we will definitley be doing more events. see you next month. Deb

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Food was creative and well prepared. The soup was OK, the other appetizers were amazing. The entree was incredibly good. But dont expect to take a doggie bag home - they clearly understand reasonable portions and quality products. The bread was a bit stale as was the chocolate flourless cake. I would hope that they would consider a pastry chef to support the wonderful meal! Service was present when you wanted but not overly involved. We would go back again! And recommend it to anyone wanting a nice, well prepared, gourmet meal in a very nice setting.

Deb W, Owner at Green Monkey, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Hi Leitches,
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear your entree was incredibly good, that makes me smile. With your suggestion we have revisited our dessert menu and made some nice changes and our bread is now being made by a fabulous bakery in Kittery , ME. Myself and my team look forward to the next time you visit Portsmouth and dine at The Green Monkey. Thanks again :-)

Reviewed August 2, 2012

They always great you warmly at the Green Monkey, and the drinks are just great fun. So many choices, so many monkeys to bring home, it is fun just sampling different drinks. Plus they will make you whatever you want if it isn't on the menu.

Lots of excellent choices for appetizers as well as main courses, and the presentation is lovely.

A consistent favorite among those of us that live in the area.

Deb is the best host in town.

Deb W, Owner at Green Monkey, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

JS- Thank you for the great review. It gives me great pleasure to hear we are doing it right. I will pass your review on to my staff and look forward to seeing you next time you are in. :-)

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Had the tuna and loved it - it was sushi grade and just pan seared; it melted in my mouth. My wife had the mussels off the appetizer menu and like them very much. We had the duck confit wontons but the confit was lost a little in the fried wonton. Overall it was a great meal and would return.

Deb W, Owner at Green Monkey, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Hi Mike – that tuna dish is awesome, wild line caught from off the Cape of MA. Getting it in fresh makes a difference. Glad you and your wife enjoyed. Thanks for the feedback on the wontons; I have adjusted the amount of duck , next time your in give it a try again and let me know how we did.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I visited the Green Monkey with my cousin and her husband recently and were just blown away by the delicious food and excellent service! The gnocchi appetizer practically melted in your mouth and the fromage appetizer was wonderful as well. I had the hangar steak entree which was very good as were the other three entrees at our table.Suffice it to say that the chefs do a spectacular job cooking each food item as the orders come in. Nothing is mass produced here. If you are looking for an intimate dining experience with wonderful food-try the Green Monkey.

Deb W, Owner at Green Monkey, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Hi Judy – loved your review. Thanks for taking the time to rate The Green Monkey and for noticing the quality of food that we love to serve. My chefs tell me that the secret to the gnocchi is to, make it with love and don’t over knead it. Glad you enjoyed. See you next time you are in Portsmouth