“Poor Management”

Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Let me start off by saying that I have been to Hibachi a great many times and it has been my personal favorite for large party gatherings and have never had an issue before. So, I Just got off the phone with their manager to make a reservation for next Saturday for 30 people that want to eat at their restaurant at 5 o’clock and they can’t take the reservation. I was told 4 o’clock is ok and 8 o’clock is ok but not any time in between. They claim it is because they cannot accommodate that many people but anyone who has been there knows that isn’t true. Trying to understand why they would not accommodate us and asking some questions, the manager says to me, “Are you just going to argue with me or make a reservation for an earlier time.” Not impressed with his attitude. What I think is that they figure they will be able to fill all their tables anyway, so why fill it with 30 people they know want to go there. They think that they can push us out of prime time and make a few extra bucks they wouldn’t have got otherwise. Well, I’ll tell you this, these 30 people are going to be very happy to take our business elsewhere (already have a confirmed reservation, a quote from the new place, “it’s our busy time, but we want to accommodate you”) and there are at least 3 people that will never go back to Hibachi again. Not sure if it is the greedy nature of business or a cultural difference in priorities, but that attitude will definitely not get our business. My father is a small business owner and the one thing I know is that if you can’t accommodate the customer’s needs then you cannot expect their business and if you don’t get the business then you go out of business. Good luck to you Hibachi.

1  Thank Beth198146182

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Good entertainment, good food, good staff. Be preparedto sit with others around the grill if you dont have a party of 12. We didnt have a reservation and only had to wait about 30 minutes for a seat at the grill. We had two drinks in the lounge, dont expect much from the wine list, beer list ok not great, drinks are the norm here. For diner we started with a Mango tuna roll which was very good. For diner my wife had shrimp and chicken and I had scallops. Told the waitress wife was allergic to scallops and the chef made sure they never touched. I got served last which was ok. Overall the diner was good. The interior needs a major update, hasnt been done since the 80's I think that is the only complaint.

w

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hibachi has become our family's go-to restaurant for New Year's Eve. Last night was our 4th time of beginning our evening with yummy steak and seafood concoctions cooked before us on the tepanyaki (sp?) grill by the chef. This year we brought along friends from St. Martin, and their little girls thoroughly enjoyed the chef's performance: his onion volcano act was particularly exciting for them.

The filet mignon and seafood dishes we ordered for the adults were perfectly prepared. A fine time was had by all. We were then able to dash into Portsmouth to enjoy the First Night Fireworks, which added another great joy for the young and old ones alike.

Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

My girls loved hibachi so this is why we went - not overly impressed - and the place wasn't really clean - nor sure I will be back any time soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is one of my favorite resturants while in the portsmouth area. The chef cooks at your table. The meal is always tasty & hot. many selections to pick from, including sushi. The have a lunch menu daily. enjoy.