“Long Wait, But Worth It”

Colby's Breakfast & Lunch
Ranked #13 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Boston, Massachusetts
“Long Wait, But Worth It”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

The breakfast is delicious and unique, but you can tell how popular this place is from the wait. However, the restaurant staff takes pity on its freezing patrons (we visited in January), and has a table with hot coffee, sugar, and cream outside.

Visited January 2012

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Unique breakfast”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

This is a great little breakfast place -- in fact it's so good, you really want to get there early on the weekend in order to get a table. In the summer it's nice to sit outside in the tiny courtyard. The servers are cheery, the atmosphere is unrushed, and the food is always delicious. I am especially fond of the reuben omelet which is huge and delicious. This is a non fussy place. It's not sparkling clean, but that aside, they do a good job.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank 2dtrav
Fayetteville, AR
“Great value + good service.”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Colby's is a tiny little spot with the entrance a short way down a very narrow space between two buildings. I don't know if it classifies as an alley but I had to close my umbrella to walk down it. The restaurant is kind of funky in the sense of being eclectic but also funky like it could use a really good cleaning. Oh, well. The service was great, the coffee was strong, and I received a heaping plate of good food. My bill was under $10. What more could you ask for?

Stratham, New Hampshire
“Find another breakfast spot”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

It was a busy morning, but after we put in our names and waited 1/2 hour, we were rudely told by the man behind the desk that he had "lost control of the list and we would be seated within 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour." I said we had already waited, he acknowledged that and said it was too busy and too bad. We anticipated some people finishing and were next in line, at which point he seated the people behind us claiming he couldn't waste a table for 4 on 2, but he saw another table - for 2 - finishing shortly. We had waited so long, we decided to stay.
We ordered what people on trip advisor recommended, Irish Eggs (hash benedict) and heuvos. Neither was outstanding. The hash was finely ground and the english muffin underneath, barely cooked added nothing - a detractor. The huevos was nothing to write home about, we've had better. We couldn't get refills on coffee, our check was delivered half way through our meal.
The guy at the door should be fired, and they need more help. Because of the atttude and service alone, I would not return. Go to Friendly Toast, - early - or the Bean in Newmarket. Both MUCH better food and more pleasant people.
Jan Williams

3 Thank janiceawilliams
Anaheim, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent breakfast”
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I was in the mood for breakfast fare, so I stopped in at Colby's. As soon as I walked in I was seated at one of the tables, which number about a dozen. I ordered an omelet (with a few choose-my-own fillings) with potatoes and toast and a beverage. The food was served quickly and arrived hot. The quality and taste of the food at this little two-man operation are comparable to any big posh restaurant. There aren't a lot of frills, such as exotically flavored jellies and jams for your toast, but the price is definitely right. My breakfast, including the server's tip, set me back $12. If you're looking for a nice relaxed breakfast in a cozy New England dining room, this is the place.