“Great hotel, excellent service and location”

Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Hilton Garden Inn in Portsmouth deserves its #1 rating. Our family spent 4 nights there. It's affordable, clean, the beds are comfy with down comforters, the staff is attentive, nice and efficient. We needed a rollaway cot, which was brought within 5 minutes, and it was a real twin mattress with box spring--way more comfortable than your typical cot. The staff even brought us cookies and a bottle of wine for our inconvenience. Super nice of them. The location is perfect--right near shops and restaurants, walking distance to Bow Street and Market Square. The pool's not huge but plenty big enough (and warm enough!) for swimming, and both the pool and hot tub felt super clean. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were near the elevator but it was still totally quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Kim K
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Kim,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for reviewing our hotel. I'm happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay. I'll pass your compliments along to the staff; we appreciate the feedback. Thank you again for your recommendation and we hope to host your next stay in Portsmouth.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Very nice room-clean and comfortable. Only one issue, which was resolved within five minutes ( the hair dryer broke during use ). Excellent staff at front desk. Very helpful with recommendations for places to eat as well as site seeing locations. The lounge had live music both nights of our stay. Plenty of sofas, chairs, and fireplaces all around the first floor. A very welcoming experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

David,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I'm happy to hear that our staff and amenities provided you with a welcoming impression. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you'll visit us again.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Checked in and was greeted by an extremely professional and friendly lady(wish I could remember her name) who informed me of the hotel particulares... how late the bar in the hotel was open, offered me a cookie at the desk and hot apple cider available on the way to the elevator... I passed on all those things as I was just ready to get to my room. I got a room on the 5th floor and it was very quiet...elevators, hallways all clean and fresh smelling!

Once in the room I did a look around and for the most part very clean! One thing I did see was some items not vacuumed up by the door, Im guessing was hidden when the door was propped open for housekeeping...nothing to ruin my stay though. Nice little fridge and microwave and keurig personal coffee maker in the room. The bathroom was very clean (a big thing for me) although it took a couple minutes for the hot water to get warm and then hot but it is frigid out so I am sure that has something to do with it as well. Beds looked crisp and inviting and absolutely were very comfortable! Although, my curiousity got the best of me and I swipped the top of the headboard- result: dusty. Again this isn't something that would ruin my stay.

I spent some time on my netbook while surfing the internet with the username and password that was given to me with my room key and internet was very smooth no issues with that, the desk chair though kept making me feel as though I was going to fall over while leaning into the back rest. Tv came in really clear as well.

As I said it has been frigid out so I wanted the heat up more than the 68 degrees that it was set to, so I turned it up each time the heating until tried getting up and leveling out to the 72 degrees I set it to there was a horrible 'clanking' noise... unpleasant.

Being the top floor of a downtown hotel the view of the skyline was pretty cool. I do wish the straight on site wasnt a parking garage but if you are to overlook and wide spread your viewing you can see the blue neon lights of the top of a lift bridge, a steeple of a church and overall not a bad view for being downtown... again very quiet being in the middle of downtown.

Overall as the title says...great stay! Wouldn't hesitate to stay again or to refere the hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of our hotel. I'm happy to hear that you had an overall great stay with us. I appreciate your constructive comments and thank you for providing us with the feedback we need in order to constantly improve upon the guest experience. Thank you for recommending our hotel and we hope you'll visit us again.

Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Easy to walk to center of town, even with snow. Front desk staff was exceptional. Room service, valet parking, housekeeping were all attentive & pleasant. Room was nice, clean, quiet. Loved the hot tub! Everything I wanted for two restful days visiting with adult daughter. We are looking forward to a second stay next year. Thank you

Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our amenities and found all of our staff to be attentive and pleasant; I will pass your compliments along to them! We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Several things I like about this hotel have been mentioned many times …convenient to wonderfully walkable downtown, very comfy beds, hot plentiful shower, professional and helpful staff …..but let me mention a few other things.
I traveled with two well-behaved 7 year old boys at the end of a holiday weekend. But I also like to travel in the off season with them and it pays. We were upgraded to a large corner room, on the 2nd floor above the car entrance. We never heard a sound in our room except for 1 door closing. But also importantly, no one probably heard us. I give kudos to staff who look out for families but who also look out for those traveling without children.
I like that you can turn off the heating and cooling completely at night so you don't have the heat cycling on and off. I turn the fridge way down too.
Room service was exceptional and extremely reasonable. They said 30 minutes and they were right on time. The $8 chicken pesto flatbread was delicious and looked like it came from a wood fired oven. A $5 side of fruit we shared was an enormous bowl of fresh cut pineapple, strawberries and grapes. And yes, the boys said the chicken tenders and wings were great too. I like that there is a low night light in the bathroom and a lot of easily accessible outlets. I like the in-room K cup coffee maker as well as free lobby coffee
A couple other quick mentions. the boys loved the game and puzzle store, Diversions, downtown. Also The Friendly Toast for breakfast, while still a great treat, seemed more expensive and I noticed a few more local looking breakfast places on our way back that I think I'll try next time. All in all, a fun trip while staying at a great downtown hotel.

Room Tip: Travel in the off season and you'll always get a great room
Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Wanderfully
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of our hotel. I'm pleased to hear that everything from your room placement to our room service provided you and your boys with a comfortable and enjoyable stay. We're happy to have earned your recommendation to the TripAdvisor community and look forward to hosting your next stay in Portsmouth.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

If you are visiting Portsmouth New Hampshire, this great hotel is located downtown, right in the waterfront district. One block away from many fine restaurants, bars, stores and attractions, the Hilton Garden will give you first class hotel in a historic setting. Watch ships move up and down the river to the Atlantic in this working sea port.

All locations are easy to walk to. In the hotel, there is a large lobby, restaurant and bar. All locations on the property are neat and clean and the staff friendly and wanting to make your stay special.

Room Tip: Only downside was valet parking only (18 per day) when I was there. No self parking area for hotel g...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Bryant,

Thank you for recommending us to the TripAdvisor community with your 5-star review. I'm happy to hear that you had a memorable stay with us. I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to the staff. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you again the next time you visit Portsmouth.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

The Hilton Garden Inn in Portsmouth is more grand and luxurious than similar hotels of its kind. We loved the beautiful, warm lobby and the big corner room that we got that easily contained our family of four people.

The reception team was welcoming and helpful and immediately recommended us on good restaurants.

The hotel's location is great, and one can easily reach all places of interest on foot. We chose to park our car on the street (free at night) and on 9:00 A.M. we moved it to the adjacent city garage for 75 cents per hour. There's a valet parking at the hotel for 18$ per day.

Breakfast was very rich and tasty – there were lots of varieties to choose from and a chef was ready to cook almost anything for you…

We enjoyed our short stay at the Hilton Garden Inn: it was very comfortable and pleasant and I highly recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GiladIsrael

Thank you for your thorough review of our hotel and for the 5-star rating! I'm pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed our amenities, convenient location, and friendly staff. Thank you for recommending us and we hope you'll visit us again soon.