“Weekend Getaway”

Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The facility was ascetically appealing and clean. The staff was welcoming and friendly, and the location was perfect. It is just a block away from great shops, food, and drink. When we arrived we did some shopping and at night we caught a terrific band at one of the pubs. The hot cider in the lobby hit the spot. The next day we went on a tour of the University of New Hampshire with my daughter. Lots of fun.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Pleasant, comfortable room - no complaints whatsoever. Convenient location. I stupidly left a library book behind in my room and noticed it only when I returned to my home town. When I called the hotel and spoke with the housekeeping staff, they promised to mail it. Two days later it arrived FedEx, and they did not even charge me for postage/shipping. Although this was a business trip, I will ask my company to book a room for me at the Hilton Garden Inn again when I return to Portsmouth.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Portsmouth is a great place to explore on foot with many great restaurants in the downtown area. Most of the larger hotels are just outside of town. This one is right in the center, walking distance from everything.

In addition to the perfect location we have experienced very friendly and efficient staff as well as consistent high quality accommodations.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Forget my previous review about this place being clean. Despite being fairly new, this place has gone from spotless to disgusting in a matter or 6 months. This is my 3rd stay since my initial, positive review, and the hotel has been rapidly declining. This is my 2nd stay where blood was visible on surfaces in the bathroom. During the most recent stay the soap package had blood smears on it. Since the TV didn't work either I complained and was switched to a different room, only to discover a smear of blood on the bathroom door. Not to mention the white crust on the office chair. Also, I pulled back the covers on the bed to find a yellow stain on the sheets. Seriously, it's time for new sheets once yellow stains are visible. Everywhere you look there are stains on the walls, crud on the floors indicating that the rooms are barely vacuumed. I'm in Portsmouth on business regularly and this is the last time I stay here.

3  Thank cintioh
Ron R, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

We sincerely apologize for the cleanliness issues you encountered during your recent stay with us. Please know we take our guest's feedback very seriously and react quickly to investigate and correct all issues to ensure the best possible experience for all our guests. In this instance we have met with our housekeeping team and reviewed your comments. We know our guests deserve the best in service and accommodations and we regret this was not your impression.

We pride ourselves on the continuous high cleanliness scores we receive from our Hilton Garden Inn guest surveys.

I hope one day we can prove this to you as well.

Ron R

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Even though I live in the general area, my friends and I stayed here this weekend so that we could have fun in the pubs and not worry about driving home. It's a perfect location for hanging out in Portsmouth, just a couple minutes from the main drag of shops, restaurants, and bars. The lounge areas looked great, but we were too busy in town to put them to use. Everything was spotless, and I heard no noise from outside or other rooms. We had room 219, which faces the parking garage across the street. That doesn't sound great, but it wasn't bad. We also had a great view of the steeple in downtown Portsmouth, which is a sort of beacon and very pretty at night. The bed was very comfortable, and the pillows...so many comfy pillows! The $15 valet service was very helpful, especially in the winter weather. On leaving, I came out to a perfectly warmed up car and pulled away with no problem. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank nhmillgirl
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The facility is average based on the winter rate. The lobby and lounge area were great for meeting/entertaining friends- as there are large windows and several fire places with flat screens in the 'conversation' areas. A little noisy during the day for relaxed reading but for entertaining our guests, the lobby/lounge area was an unexpected perk!! Location is great. And while I tipped the valets well, they really did go above and beyond their job description given the opportunity- Such as having a 7:00 a.m appointment that could not be missed and getting a flat tire on my way. - I turned around immediately and got back to the hotel for some help- Any help!!! The front desk phoned a car service immediately (RideWithQ.com) and the valet supervisor (Jason), offered to get our tire repaired while I went to my appointment!! It was over the top service in my opinion and saved my day (and trip). This was a mixed business and pleasure trip- I was expected in court and I was visiting my son stationed in Portsmouth. Both very important occasions.
I am so pleased that I choose this hotel among my extensive researched beforehand. The the common areas, the location and the valets rock!!! I will reserve with Garden Inn for future trips, hands down.

Room Tip: We booked a Queen, two beds, limited view. The view was great!! It's Portsmouth and "salt...
1  Thank ElaineFromMichi... s
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The hotel is a block from downtown Portsmouth. All the shops, restaurants and sights are only streets away. The hotel lobby and bar area is newly renovated and very welcoming. The room was very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple