“Great place to stay for a wedding!”

Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the Hilton Garden Inn ~ Portsmouth (New Hampshire) Downton. We were in Portsmouth for my daughter's wedding, which was held at the Moffatt-Ladd House and Garden, followed by a brunch at the Hilton the next day. In all, we spent seven nights at your lovely hotel.
I want to let you know that General Manager, Ron Rockelein, does a fabulous job of managing your facility. He's patient, professional, and pleasant. Also, front desk supervisor, Steven Fuller is equally great at his job. They both have the personalities required to deal with large numbers of, often demanding, customers. You are really fortunate to have such qualified gentlemen in charge. We had fantastic customer service throughout our stay, thanks to them.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,321)

Reviewed September 3, 2011

I travel a bit for business and usually stay in Hilton properties so this stay was paid for with Hilton Honors points. We came for a get away just before back to school and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The room was immaculate and the staff was welcoming, accomodating and gracious. I have seen some prior reviews that complain of the valet staff and cost. I think Hilton would do well to re-think the $15/night charge for the mandatory valet parking but we never had a problem getting our vehicle quickly. The valet staff was courteous and quick, despite the fact that they were dealing with two weddings this weekend. I also saw some reviews that complained about the air conditioning. I will admit that ours was not doing a great job when we checked in but they adjusted it immediately and we were very comfortable for the rest of our stay. I recommend this property and would stay here again. I can't say enough about the responsiveness of the staff and, to me, that is a critical part of my decision making when choosing a location to stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel in the past (couple with 7 year old child) and were looking forward to another stay this weekend. Unfortunately I had to cancel at the last minute, past the allowable cancellation date, due to a prolonged power outage at our home courtesy of Irene. I called the hotel directly and the reservation was cancelled due to these circumstances with utmost courtesy, very quickly, with no fee and without having to speak to a supervisor :-) Kudos to excellent customer service! We go to Portsmouth at least twice per year - we won't be staying anywhere else in the future. Great location, parking isn't a hassle with the garage across the street - and now I can add extremely great customer service :-)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank MrsC25098
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I first stayed at this hotel in 2006, (not long after it first opened), as well as had plans on staying the entire weekend of 8/26/11, but (very unfortunately), had to check out early (same day) due to Hurricane Irene. However, I'm still impressed with this hotel, and definitely want to return for another (complete) stay as I did in '06. I find this hotel to be quite clean and the room I was given (for my Aug. 2011 short stay) was on the top (5th) floor, had a very nice view. The rooms are of decent size, and appointed enough to make your stay satisfying. One of the absolute best things (at least for me) is the location of this property. It is within walking distance of all the downtown Portsmouth shops, restaurants, theatres, and the harbor cruises, and directly across the street from the Greyhound Bus stop, and the chocolate shop that sells the bus tickets. Cannot be anymore convenient. I also find the staff quite friendly. I am so disappointed that my Aug. 2011 trip was cut short due to the hurricane, since my room in this hotel was really nice! I most certainly want to get back to Portsmouth, NH, in 2012, and will most likely be staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed a single night in the Portsmouth Hilton Garden Inn. When we arrived, the valet was very prompt and friendly. Unfortunately, valet is the only option here - and costs $15 per night. The valet lot is behind the hotel (we could see our car from our room), so it was a little puzzling that we couldn't park our own vehicle. Parking was probably the biggest negative about this hotel, which was pretty typical of Hilton Garden Inns. It was very clean and every member of the staff we encountered were friendly. Although the hotel served breakfast, the main desk folks were very helpful in recommending an excellent restaurant for us and providing us with a complimentary umbrella as it was raining at the time. This hotel is walkable to a variety of great restaurants in Portsmouth. It did take me a few tries to get logged on to their wireless network, but once I succeeded it worked well (was probably my error, honestly). When we left, the valet was quick to receive our car, so although we had to use the valet, we didn't have to wait more than a couple minutes to depart. Overall, very good experience and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We took a long awaited vacation to Portsmouth, NH and decided to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. Everything from check-in to check-out was just great. The front desk staff was attentive and accomodating. the valet guys were right on the ball and housekeeping was sensitive to our DND sign, and cleaned the room late in the afternoon upon our request.
Our entire stay was a joy and the staff and facility was superb. We would love to come back to Portsmouth and The Hilton Garden Inn in the near future. By the way the cookies at the front desk every afternoon were to die for. We want the receipe!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2011

This is basic and okay but not a place I would go again if I had a choice to go to another local hotel. The breakfast was ten dollars a person and although it did have a lot of food this would mean that me and my two kids would be spending thirty bucks just to eat breakfast. There were no alternatives offered to us like ordering a more normal size breakfast from the menu and eating a more normal portion and paying less than ten bucks to have breakfast. The restaurant was all but deserted at dinner and we decided to go out into the city to get something more interesting and less expensive for dinner.

The room was somewhat clean but just like a typical hotel. Nothing really stood out to attract me back to stay again.

Location was nice in downtown but not like having a view of the water- although it is nicely located for any event. The hotel is nice but I was hoping for a place I might like to come back to and this was just not it. This is just an average hotel I would stay at on business and inside you might think you are at an airport hotel someplace, or anyplace, but not a special place to bring a friend for a fun weekend.

They did have free cookies in the afternoon which thrilled my kids. I think the staff were trying hard to be welcoming. They were nice, but as I said I can only say this is an average/nice hotel- basic and typical.

Room Tip: pay more for a room with more space and a little bit of a view of the city.