“Wanted to stay longer!”

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
New London, New Hampshire
“Wanted to stay longer!”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

The Hotel Portsmouth is an awesome place to stay! Very comfortable and beautiful! Can't wait to go again!! The staff were excellent and very helpful. A classic new england house brought to life with the new renovations and such a charming place too! Wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annette G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying here a couple weeks back with 29 of my friends. Yes, 29 of us converged and took down 20 rooms during their inaugural week.

I'm no historian, but the place looks like a massive Victorian era home converted into a 30+ room B&B with all the look and feel of a swanky Manhattan Boutique hotel.

Parking was plentiful, and safe, and the place is located just a block off the main strip and walking distance to EVERYTHING in Portsmouth, yet so quiet that you actually feel like you're in the country when you decide to return to the HOTEL.

Kid friendly, pet friendly (1 room), and ADA friendly (1 room) with great small and large gathering spots. You feel like you're in someones home, in all the best ways.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank tomodojo
Pittsfield, New hampshire
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Stayed here the first week they were opened and we were impressed. Beautiful old building newly renovated. Rooms updated but keep their original charm. The common areas were exceptional beautiful and comfortable. Continental breakfast was very good. Much attention is paid to their guests needs. I would recommend staying here for the location to downtown, the service, and the comfort.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NTutSTut
Chatham, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We usually stay at chain type hotels but when I saw the description, I thought we should give it a shot. I am glad we did. The staff is excellent the rooms are nice, clean and well appointed. This is a classic new england house with all the charm you would expect. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Harry D
silvadus
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My Family loved our stay at The Hotel Portsmouth! This place is beautiful. It was refreshing to be able to stay in an elegant hotel that is family friendly. We stayed in room 406 (it is more of a suite then a room). There was a bunk bed for my son and his friend with plenty of room to play, hang out, watch TV as well as a gorgeous room with a king bed for my husband and me. The bed linens were first rate with cozy comforters and comfy pillows. The mattress was a dream! The hotel is downtown with parking. There are plenty of shops, restaurants and fun to be had right near the hotel. The folks that work there are very helpful and welcoming. This hotel has great style, perfect location and all the comfort one might need.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank silvadus
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Wow, so hard to leave this place. I actually live in Portsmouth, pretty close to downtown. I live here for all the reasons people love to visit, plus an extra love of what it is my hometown. I couldn't resist trying out staying at the Hotel Portsmouth, after watching them progress from renovation to selecting each thoughtful design detail for the new hotel. And while the fun, retro vibe of the rotary phones and amazing curtain patterns (not to mention the in-room mini iPads equipped with local recommendations by meal) may have initially drew me in, it was the amazing beds and great service that linger in my mind. I never wanted to get out of that bed, and had more pillows than I knew what to do with. Super high thread count luxurious sheets... I woke up and couldn't believe the level of REM I must have hit to have had dreams like that. Top this all off with genuinely lovely desk staff, all locals and super happy to be there, and I will take any opportunity to stay here again—and will send all friends and family to the Hotel Portsmouth whenever they come to visit.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Crystal P
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I was working on a project downtown and tried out the NEW Hotel Portsmouth. I really like the look and feel of this place. Super convent to downtown, easy to park, unique spaces, VERY well designed, and had a very comfortable nights sleep! The mattress was so good I had to ask where I could buy one! I did some research on the building and what it looked like in the past. Trust me the renovation is a total 360! The staff was friendly and were available to answer my questions. This Modern Victorian is not stuck in the past, its the best way to visit this historic New England town!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Philip S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Best Western Plus Portsmouth Hotel & Suites

Been to The Hotel Portsmouth? Share your experiences!