“Lovely Valentine's Day”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My wife and I went here for the first time on Valentine's Day. We had a great time. We were only sad that it went by so quickly. The service was very fast! They were closed to the public and had only taken reservations which was nice because when we arrived at 6, the place was not jam packed with last minute diners trying to get in. It was a quiet atmosphere. I liked the decor. It was warm and cozy while modern and elegant all at the same time. The bread and oil was delicious. And we liked how they provided parmesan, salt, and red pepper flakes to add to the oil if you wished. We started off with the eggplant tower which I highly recommend. The eggplant slices were huge. It was so tasty! My wife had the Saltimbocca and garlic mashed potatoes which she loved. I had the chicken marsala. (Unlike the other reviewer, I thought the portions were very generous. The other reviewer got roasted red peppers as a side. If you wanted leftovers why wouldn't you have gotten the pasta?) It was very good - it came with 2 large pieces of chicken and underneath the pasta filled like 3/4 of the plate. I made 3 meals out of it!! Well worth the money. We got our desserts to go because we were so full. They even had a special sangria with blueberry and pomegranate for V-Day which was yummy as well. Service was great, we were asked by three different people how everything was. And I think the woman who brought our food may have been the chef and/or owner? Not sure, but everyone was very nice. The hostess even gave us red carnations at the end of our meal. We will definitely be back!

1  Thank Erika R

Reviewed January 2, 2014

At last there is a reasonably priced restaurant that has delicious, well prepared food and a menu chock full of options to meet anyone's dietary needs. Our server was informative as well as professional. Cozy atmosphere.

1  Thank Judy C
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We have been here twice and both times it was very good. I like that you mix your bread oil how you like it. I do not eat meat and several of them menu items have the option of using eggplant. I had the saltimbocca with eggplant and it was fantastic. I like that they take reservations too and they service has been very good. Very enjoyable meal. I saw someone below mention portions, I left stuffed and still had lunch and then some for the next day!

Reviewed December 8, 2013

This cute little place opened up a month ago in Portsmouth and we have been looking forward to going. Our waitress was attentive and professional. The menu is limited but has several side dishes to select from if you chose an entree. For an appetizer my husband ordered the antipasto which was a tasty mix of salami, cheeses, olives, etc. It was good, but small. Warm bread was good and served with olive oil to dip it in. I ordered the chicken Marsala with a side of roasted red peppers. Again, the food tasted good, but I was disappointed with the serving size. And I missed having the pasta automatically come with the chicken Marsala. Not sure if we will go back or not.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

The recently opened Tavola Restaurant is a marvelous addition to the restaurant scene in Portsmouth, a town well known for fine dining offerings. From the moment we entered the door until the time we departed, the staff was welcoming and helpful. Tavola's menu, Italian for sure, offers ample choice, as does the wine list. My companion loved her small ceasar salad with anchovies, and then savored a plate of smokey gnocchi. I gorged on a delicate yet flavorful Veal Picatta while enjoying a fine Chainti Riserva. We shall definitely return to Tavola.

1  Thank Montaukrider