“Favorite Portsmouth Restauarant”
Review of The Library

The Library
Reserve with OpenTable
The Library is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We have been to many restaurants in Portsmouth before, but never tried The Library before. We're so glad we finally did. We arrived, and the hostess asked if we had a reservation. We did not. Our only negative of the entire evening was the hostess. She just seemed annoyed by us, and annoyed we said we didn't have a reservation, although it was before 6PM. Our waiter was great. Very attentive, knew a lot about the menu, and gave us suggestions. If you like rasberry Cosmos, I recommend it. Perfect color, great taste. We shared the crabcake. It was super fresh, and delicous. I had the 12 ounce filet mignon. It simply was one of the best steaks I've had. My beautiful bride had the baked stuffed haddock. I know what you're saying, ordering fish in a steak house? It was fresh, moist, with huge pieces of fresh lobster. Extremely good. We shared sides of spinach, which was nothing special, and the steak fries. Order the steak fries. Thick thick cut, and extremely good. We skipped dessert this time, even though our waiter brought over a platter with all of the available desserts.
We had a great meal, and we will be back. We highly recommend The Library. It's much better than any of the restaurants down by the water. I think we've tried them all.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Very nice atmosphere in the lounge - lucky enough to get a seat right by the fireplace.
Definitely a couples only place.
Very nice service -HUGE martini menu.
Beer selection more limited - if that is what you like - this is definitely more a wine martini place.
Food is good - but I think it is all about the atmosphere here.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We were a party of 5 for an early dinner on Saturday night. Place was almost full even though it was early. Great atmosphere and the service was good. Bottom line was that all the steaks were great, but everything else (apps, sides, salads) was pretty standard. Only true disappointment was a bland fish dish over poorly cooked pasta. Non meet eaters will be in trouble as menu is very limited in that regard. $300 for 5 with two drinks.

1  Thank bsrb
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Romantic and filet mignon melted in my mouth. It's a pretty stately looking building and I was quite surprised when I got in ---lots of character, charm, dark wood, very nice, relaxing and I eat out a lot, and I found it just wonderful and delightful. Steak was delicious and I ordered med rare, next time I'd say rare as I thought it was a little more on the medium side, but so tender none the less I still give it 5 stars. I had the stead w/ crab on top, that was so good also, I had sauted spinach I think -- it was really good, really not a thing I could say bad, waiter didn't bug us but was attentive. It was a perfect night and I would love to go back and have exactly the same thing I ordered and I Never usually get the same thing as I like to try dif things, but this was so flavorful I can't wait to return.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Very good food very good service ,very good atmosphere
very excellent wine list ,one of the best cesar salads .great steak