“4 Course Delight”
Review of The Library

The Library
Reserve with OpenTable
The Library is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Had dinner Saturday night with my wife, daughter and her fiancee. Great atmosphere, staff was very attentive, cheerful and I felt they truly enjoyed serving us as much as we enjoyed the dinner.
Started with Clam Chowder and Onion Soup - both were excellent by discerning New Englander standards, grilled garlic and olive oil bread was superb. Next was wedge salad with homemade blue cheese dressing and caesar salad, both very good and were enough for one to be split with a spouse. Dinner orders were Porterhouse mid rare, Filet a la Oscar mid rare, Lobster Mac, and Cowboy Ribeye Medium minus. All were cooked perfectly with care and came out together. The ribeye is difficult to time cooking with other dishes and takes longer to cook, so be prepared to wait 30 minutes between salad and dinner service. It was truly worth it and we were talking and drinks were never wanting. finished with Creme Brule and Peanut Butter pie with cappucino. Excellent meal overall. i would give it an A. Thanks Lyndsay, chef and staff.

1  Thank Robert B

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Good ambience in the bar section. Steaks are good and there is generally a good selection of beer and wine.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was our second trip to the Library. The food is very good, the atmosphere is unique but the service is always a let down. We had dinner reservations at 7:00 and were told by other portsmouthers go early and sit at the bar. When we arrived at the bar there were 3 chairs at the end, two had waters reserving the seats. I get that no worries we just wanted to order drinks. The bartender snaps at us from across the bar, those seats are reserved. There were 4 of us and we didn't care about sitting. I said no problem we just want a drink before dinner. He snaps " Well you CANT sit there". Everyone at the bar is now looking at us and we felt very unwelcomed. So I said, "I know the seats are taken but isn't it okay to order a drink from here?" He ignored us for 3 more minutes before he got our drinks and then said the owners are coming in and the seats were for them. We never got asked for another round and finally 7:00 rolled around. We had 3 couples and ordered. 6 drinks for a total of 83.00 dollars. Not cheap! When I payed I told him I am not tipping you because you did nothing to welcome us, you served us only one and you were rude. He said you don't understand those seats are for the owners I have to save them. I told him it had nothing to do with the seats. Anyway, I went back during dinner and tipped him and reminded him where his money comes from and it's his hourly wage. But I ask you this , what restaurant owners take up 2 seats at their bar on a Sat. Night during prime time? The answer is the kind of owners who don't care. Never returning back.

3  Thank Kelly C
Reviewed February 25, 2013

First off this was never a real library but a converted private residence. Wide open dining room with a fireplace at our end. This was recommended to us by the concierge at the Wentworth by the Sea (Marriott) in New Castle. Glad we came. The steaks were terrific. I had the NY Strip au poive and my wife had the filet. Mine was coked perfectly and my wife kept commenting how delicious hers was. The menu is similar to a Capital Grille style in that all of your sides are served a la carte. We had the asparagus and potatoes (sorry - old school) and they were delicious as well. We had a great California Russian River Valley Pinot Noir to accompany our meal. Very reasonably priced for restaurant of this caliber. All in all - a great place for a nicer and refined dinner. Not cheap but not over the top.

Great service as well.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Bad service, after waiting over 1.5 hours, we were finally served and when I complained about my meal being overcooked & lukewarm, the manager came to the table and was arguing with me about the food. It was quite embarrassing because there were other tables close that could hear what was going on. The manager was extremely rude. And to add to that, after she left our table she brought us our check and walked away. We were not even asked if we wanted dessert and coffee.

With tip, our meal came to over $250. I would expect much better service under those circumstances. But, just to be fair, my husband and I had been to The Library in the past and had excellent food and service. The restaurant may want to consider finding a new manager.

3  Thank Peggy H