“don't miss it!”

Blue Mermaid Island Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Mermaid Island Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Jamaican, Caribbean, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Manchester, New Hampshire
“don't miss it!”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

do yourself a favor and eat here if your in this area of New Hampshire. The service was very good and our meals were some of the best fish I've ever eaten

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not to our expecttions”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We had heard that this restaurant was great. We made reservations for Easter brunch. Our waitress was very nice. Our 2 daughters were happy with their choice. My husband and I ordered the scrambled eggs that came with hash brown potatoes. We asked for cheese in our eggs and we tasted none. I told the waitress and she went to check with the cook. She returned saying that the cheese was in there. I would describe the hash browns as 2 over-fried potato chips....flat, square and burnt. I did not want to complain in front of our girls, since I had already asked about the cheese....it was Easter, after all. I would not recommend this place at all. We also witnessed 3 people fall as a result of a step that was not highlighted to prevent such a thing happening.

Rye, New Hampshire
“Our favorite in Portsmouth”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Our go-to when my husband and I are in Portsmouth. The environment is a colorful nod to the Caribbean, creating a unique ambiance for this area, especially in the chill of winter. Service is consistently friendly and knowledgable. Love love love the Fire and Ice margarita! My finicky husband is happy with the beer rotation, and the fried chicken entree is the only thing in town he orders without making a million special requests. Total comfort food. I'm a health fanatic and love the scallops, especially because I can tailor with my choice of sides…anything fresh and green for me...and have my choice of sauce. The blueberry bourbon is perfect. We generally enjoy a drink at the bar before dinner and almost always strike up some jovial conversation. Super cool building. The restaurant is set back from the main drag of Portsmouth, but I think that makes it all the more comfortable and laid back. Always a fantastic experience. Wish this place was in walking distance form us!

MA
“Worst Service Ever”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I called the restaurant on Saturday, April 5 both to get directions and to make a reservation for 12:30 on Sunday. I mentioned at the time that we were coming for Restaurant Week.

I was a bit surprised when the youngish sounding woman who answered the telephone seemed put out and had a much friendlier sounding man get on the phone. However, it did not annoy me.

The man was very friendly and helpful, and my friend and I looked forward to a nice meal.

Because I know that businesses that are not right on the primary downtown street can have a rough time, I was not concerned that there was only party (which was finishing up) at a table and one person at the bar. My friend later told me that the place being so empty on a Sunday afternoon with decent weather provided a bad sense.

We initially politely waited in the foyer for a couple of minutes but were talking, so Michelle at the bar must have known that we were there. My friend even speculated that we had gone in the wrong entrance.

I knew that her name was Michelle because one of the young guys at the table made a big show of saying good bye to her.

We then walked into the restaurant, and Michelle continued ignoring us despite just washing glasses.

I spoke up after a couple of minutes, and Michelle invited us to sit where ever we wanted. She also told us that our server would be with us.

As I recall, there either were menus on the table or we took some from a hostess stand. We noticed that there was not the Restaurant Week menu that we found online.

A woman with brown hair pulled back and glasses came out within a couple of minutes. She asked if we knew what we wanted, and I mentioned very politely that we were there for Restaurant Week. I figured that she would just go get that menu.

She told us in a slightly angry tone that they did not serve Restaurant Week lunches on the weekend. She IMMEDIATELY added that we did not have to stay.

We got up and left; we went to the Gaslight, which is a regular place for us. We had our usual good service and tasty food.

1 Thank MAtraveller87
Rye, New Hampshire
“Island Flavor”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We had a really great diner there the other night,service was excellent and the atmosphere pleasant.The menu is Jamacian so we tried a lot of new things.Vegetable spring rolls-great-shrimp-perfect along with cod and island coleslaw?The only draw back is a lack of parking in downtown Portsmouth,so arrive a little early.Great meal,fun place.

• Visited March 2014