“Best Restaurant in Portsmouth...”
Review of The Friendly Toast

The Friendly Toast
Ranked #8 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Let's make one thing clear from the start... no matter how kitschy, how indy-rock, how whatever the Toast is, it is above all a diner.

Those who wrote bad reviews didn't grasp this concept.

Once you accept that it's not fine dining, that the coffee is terrible, that you have to wait for breakfast on the weekends and that you won't be served on china, you'll love it. Oh, and if you're nice, the servers will be, too. If you're a jackass, they won't bother with you.

The menu is eclectic and varied. They make terrific use of fresh-baked bread and locally produced foodstuffs. My personal favorite is either the ham/cheese/asparagus sandwich on the delicious Anadama bread (a must-try in itself!) or the simple egg sandwich with local cheeses on toasted Anadama and extra-grilled home fries.

Don't overlook the daily specials... always inventive, always fresh, always yummy.

1  Thank Mathurin5

Reviewed August 1, 2007

We stopped here during a recent vacation in New England and it was the biggest mistake we made. Food was mediocre at best, and the wait and service were appalling. Our food took over and hour to come out and in that time the friendly but absent waitress never bothered to refill my coffee or water. In fact, she refilled the water of the people with whom we shared a table (a section was inexplicably closed during lunch, greating a long wait for a table) but looked past my empty glass. It seems the kitchen only had the foresight to prepare one ticket at a time, though I did watch a cook (it's an open kitchen) take a moment to leisurely finger through a collection of CDs to decide what to play next. Basically, it ruined the entire town of Portsmouth for us.

2  Thank wpscott
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Every time I go to Portsmouth, I tell myself I'm going to eat someplace other than The Friendly Toast. Portsmouth is full of great restaurants serving all kinds of food, and as good as the Toast is, it's really a shame that I never to go the Stockpot, Gaslight, or Muddy River. And so whenever I head to Portsmouth, I say, "this time I'm going elsewhere."

Inevitably, however, I end up at the Toast. The food is just too good, and the decor and atmosphere are simply wonderful. It's a little rough around the edges, but that's what makes it special. Yeah, they serve their food on old fifties-era dinnerware. Yeah, the silverware doesn't match. The wait staff is tattooed and most of the servers don't go out of their way to be artificially chipper. Big deal. They take your order and bring you your food, and the food is good, so what else matters?

And the food! Where else can you get sweet potato fries topped with brown sugar, sour cream, and tabasco? Or fantastic huevos rancheros, comprised of two perfectly poached eggs under a mound of cheese, salsa, and avocado? Everything on the menu is a little unusual, and in some cases items sound too weird to be good, but it all works.

There are many good restaurants in Portsmouth, and some may be more suitable for certain diners. That said, the Toast is by far the most distinctive restaurant in town, and embodies the slightly funky, independent spirit of Portsmouth. Just look at the crowd on any Saturday morning: You'll see hipster kids and college students, families with small children, grandmas and grandpas, and every type of person in between. I would suggest that any visitor to Portsmouth join in on the fun.

1  Thank Belmonster
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Not what I expected. Place looked cute and eclectic from the outside, but upon closer inspection - looks were VERY deceiving. The place was rather dirty and served the food on old fashioned "vintage" plates and cups. My cup was pretty dirty looking and I had to ask for another one - which wasn't much better. While we were waiting for our food, one of the servers dropped a whole stack of plates (hence the reason they are plastic, I guess) and placed them all back on the shelf - ready to be used for food...pretty gross. The food was ok. My eggs looked a little undercooked but by that time I had already begun to lose my appetite. I'd skip this place, and go to the bagel store right on the next block, or try One Good Egg, on Sagamore Road - on the way to New Caste.

2  Thank jespo2
Reviewed December 21, 2006

We live in Portsmouth, and this is near the top of the list of our favorite restaurants. The decor is completely unique -- a real museum of kitschy art. (Too bad their website seems to have disappeared; some of the artwork was displayed there.) The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. Best of all, the food is fun, creative, and delicious. My only complaint is that sometimes the music is too loud, bringing the whole noise level up as people try to talk over the music. We prefer to go on weekday evenings when it isn't too crowded.

4  Thank williesdad