“unfriendly Toast”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed December 8, 2013

first of all, it was so crowded you had to wait on the street in the freezing cold for your table, the service was sooooo slow, the food was cold and gummy. eggs were overcooked on the huevos rancheros, the bread was soggy, the coffee cold and weak. We could not find our waiter to correct this.
there was one tiny bathroom, it was dirty and smelly. We had a gift card that they could not run because of the antiquated machine they had. They said it had a zero balance. we paid cash, then found out they deducted it from the gift card anyway.

Art deco design, very noisy and busy, tables crowded, tatooed servers with bare smelly arms

1  Thank Jimmy J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,011)

Reviewed December 5, 2013

This place was recommended by the hotel staff as a great breakfast venue. It has a strange array of breakfast offerings, served in a 'diner' type environment. I asked for 'whatever is your most popular' breakfast and received a huge plate of scrambled eggs, goats cheese, chilli peppers, green beans, and herbs. All served on thick cut toast with a mug of coffee. Different, interesting and really tasty and filling. Recommended for all ages.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

This was my second time at this restaurant.... though it has been years. I was having a late weekday breakfast with a friend who was visiting from out of state. The rooms are large with high ceilings and fun kitsch from the 1940-s- 60's throughout: table lamps, stuff hanging from the ceilings, tin plaques on the walls.... even the 1950's funky tables with formica tops. We were greeted promptly and our two servers were friendly and expedient throughout our meal. The coffee was strong and good. Our meals of eggs/bacon/anadama bread/spicy potatoes, and a scramble with mushroom/cheddar/tomato/cilantro, with sausage patty and cinnamon-raisin toast were very good. We were in and out of there in a flash, but never felt rushed, and the prices were reasonable. We would definitely come back to this fun establishment with good lighting and an upbeat, cool vibe feel.

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Haven't been here in ten years and the last time was on college. I had great memories and was worried it wouldn't live up to all my expectations but it did. The Anna Maria's quesadilla was still one of a kind, and although the moldy mangy cheetah by the bathroom from ten years ago was missing an awesome fun house mirror has been installed! The food was still great, the staff unique and a little surly and the decor something you never tire looking at. Overall a place I will always return to no matted how long it's been between visits.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

My Mom and I stopped here for breakfast while in Portsmouth. We went on a Saturday morning and the wait was pretty lengthy at about 45 minutes. It was chilly outside and there is very little room to wait inside. Once we sat down the service was good but we did wait a bit for our food. The food was good. I had the special stuffed French toast and it was good although it wasn't really stuffed. My mom's French toast was good with a raspberry sauce. Overall the ambience is as good as the food.