“Open under new management”
Review of The Rosa

The Rosa
Ranked #75 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2014

If you have ever visited Portsmouth and have eaten at The Rosa Restaurant, it is open again after being close for a while...

Still in the same location on the historic waterfront of Portsmouth, NH, this historic restaurant still maintains it's position near the drawbridge. The menu has changed away from the traditional Italian to a more upscale mix. Food was good and service friendly. Not sure it would be a first recommendation as it might have been under the old management. Somehow, while being in the same building, it has lost something.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

My experience at The Rosa was excellent. Everything from the food, to the service, to the atmosphere was top notch. I went on a busy night, and even then I did not have too much of a wait and the food was sent out very quickly. Our waitress was great and gave us some excellent recommendations. The home made steak sauce on the Herb Grilled Hanger Steak is some of the best I've ever had, and their polenta fries were a great starer.

Overall, 4/5. One of my favorite places in Portsmouth.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Went for dinner with friends and was looking forward to what the NEW Rosa would be like. I hadn't eaten here in several years when I thought the food was good. I had the Veal Picatta and must say that is was as uninspiring as I've ever had. Way too much hovering by two waitresses at the beginning - trying to hurry us along? - until they were told we wanted to wait a while. The brought the bread and salad and before I'd taken more than two bites of the salad they were back with the main course. Perhaps that's their "style" - it was not ours. The place IS loud and the refurbishment was "ok". Would I go back? Not for anything special - for the price it was "ok" but overall it was disappointing.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The Rosa is Back and Better than Ever!This was our first visit to the Rosa since they have re opened and it was a fantastic experience. It has been totally redone and very nice. The staff was extremely cordial and welcoming. The menus was great but we ordered 2 luncheon specials which were to die for. On top of all this the prices were so reasonable. LOVED IT. BUT we could not figure out why a glass of wine, well half a glass actually, costs more than our sandwich. $11.00 for a glass(half filled) is a little much. Other than that a wonderful over all experience. Next time we will have our wine at home before we go.

1  Thank Drakesisland
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We went to the Rosa last night after the Candlelight Stroll at Strawberry Banke. It was our first time back since it reopened. I had the lasagna and Steve had the cannelloni. Both were excellent. The marinara sauce was fresh and flavorful. Make sure you eat the bread (I'm not sure I really had to tell you that) -- it was out-of-this-world, especially with the grated cheese and olive oil! We sat at the bar and our service was great.

If you want fresh, traditional Italian, you can't go wrong. We will definitely go back and will recommend it to the guests at our B&B, The 1810 Pickering House.

2  Thank Julia P