“Interesting breakfast choices”

Golden Egg
Ranked #23 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Golden Egg has been serving fresh, homemade breakfast and lunch since 1983! Everything is homemade. Our menu includes eggs, omelettes, pancakes, waffles, french toast, eggs benedict (many different varieties), muffins, fruit, homemade granola, etc. We have specials that change based on available ingredients. The result is the freshest breakfast with outstanding variety for a great dining experience.
Reviewed April 26, 2010

First time we tried it was this weekend even though we have been in area almost 30 years! It was ok, not great quality but a good price. Service just okay, nothing exceptional. We would go back for a reasonably priced menu and interesting breakfast choices!

Reviewed October 12, 2009

"We're more than just a couple of eggs...and that's no yolk!" reads the menu, and that was just the beginning of the charm. If you need frills and refined servers and napkins placed on your lap for you, don't eat here. If, however, you like to see the local retirees banter about the days' news, personal service from the waittress as she refills your coffee, and the best lobster omelette I've ever eaten, then you can't miss this place. Fortunately, we were there on a Tuesday morning (they only open 'til 2), b/c on the weekends the line reportedly stretches out the door around the building. Reasonably priced, great food and down-to-earth service = a memorable meal on our vacation.

Reviewed April 8, 2009

I've had friends tell me to try it and I finally did. This place has one of the best, if not the best, breakfasts in Portsmouth. It has THE WORST COFFEE in a town full of coffee houses! Get the juice or milk and pass on the coffee!

Reviewed October 5, 2008

just what a local breakfast place should be! good, friendly, fast service. lots of choices and good changing specials.

Reviewed September 6, 2008

I had heard MANY great reviews of Golden Egg, so I recently gave it a try...

One plus: My companion ordered an egg scramble with lobster and a nicer cheese that was very tasty.

#1 there is always a line on weekends between 8:30-11:30. This is one reason I had waited 2 years since hearing about it, have driven back to Portsmouth to eat elsewhere instead of wait.

#2 My omelette appeared to be made from EggBeaters, was undercooked, and had no seasoning. It was a maple sausage, apple and cheddar.... the chunks of sausage were too large and not cooked enough, there could have been more apple... and like I said, it wasn't even browned a touch.

#3 I was seated on an uncomfy folding chair

Been to Golden Egg? Share your experiences!