“Best Breakfast Anywhere”

Golden Egg
Ranked #32 of 201 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Golden Egg has been serving fresh, homemade breakfast and lunch since 1983! Everything is homemade. Our menu includes eggs, omelettes, pancakes, waffles, french toast, eggs benedict (many different varieties), muffins, fruit, homemade granola, etc. We have specials that change based on available ingredients. The result is the freshest breakfast with outstanding variety for a great dining experience.
Rye, NH
“Best Breakfast Anywhere”
Reviewed May 9, 2008

The Golden Egg is by far the best breakfast place there is. They have a diverse menu with lots of homemade pastries, muffins and breads and great specials everyday. I have also had occasion to dine for lunch and lunch is also great but I admit I go there most often for breakfast even at lunchtime.

NH
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I expected a LOT better service”
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I had heard so many great things about The Golden Egg. My expectations must have been too high. The service was terrible. When the waitress brought our food, she plunked it down in front of us and then ran off. Yes, they were busy. There was a line. There is always a line. So, why not more employees to handle the crowds? The waitress never came back. I needed sugar free syrup for my waffle and my friend needed hot sauce for the omelet. We needed more coffee. She dropped off the check passing by and never asked us if we needed anything else. It is a good thing my friend left the tip because I was not feeling very generous. Now the food. I ordered the waffle with banana and kiwi. That is what the menu said. I got a waffle with a few thin slices of banana and 1 very small slice of kiwi. There was raspberry sauce all over it. I did not want raspberry sauce and I could not eat it because I am diabetic and can't tolerate sweetened fruit.. The menu said nothing about raspberry sauce. The waffle was tough. I could not cut it with my fork. I like my waffle crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. The omelet was acceptable, not great. The coffee was excellent, what we had of it. I would have liked more. Maybe I will try it again sometime but not right now.

1 Thank disciple6406
Reading, MA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So Good”
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I grew up in Portsmouth and to my disappointment now live in a town without the kind of fantastic breakfast place that the Golden Egg is. In my opinion it is the best breakfast place in the seacoast area. It is a tiny little place with no call ahead list, just a line you stand in once you arrive. Who cares when the food is so good. They often have pancake specials like "pumpkin spice," or french toast made from cranberry quick bread. But don't forget about the fantastic omelets and egg specials. They also have vegetarian sausage, which I love! My parents would tell you that one of their favorite things is the flavored coffee. They have all the standards, and some interesting variations. Whether you want eggs, coffee cake, pancakes, a breakfast sandwich, or a fruit and yogurt parfait, this is the place to have breakfast. Don't forget to stop by the ATM, because they only take cash.

1 Thank SophiaNewEngland
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“so local, so new england, and oh so good. somehow they manage to have ripe avacado every time i go. praise the lord.”
Reviewed December 3, 2007

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Rye Beach, New Hampshire
“One of the Best and cheapest Breakfasts on the seacoast.”
Reviewed July 27, 2007

I love the GOlden EGG They have the best Benideicts in the World. every thing else is also great, Great Ommletes and when they Have blintezs You MUST order them. I have been to some of the best Jewish Delis in the country and I know my blintzes and These beat them all. A must get. Cash only

2 Thank jdat11