“Fabulous Find”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bow Street
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Went with my (extended) family on a packed Thursday night in Portsmouth. The valet service alone made the place a joy - easiest parking ever. I mainly drank - the Sangria was excellent. The food was a hit with the rest of the group, including four tweens. Seriously any restaurant that makes a green bean that kids will eat has some serious chops (sautéed, not fried). I tried a bite of the haddock. It was also lovely - best I have ever had. I didn't get to the dock but understand it has some of the best views in the city. Our server Leon was a riot. Good with the kids and the adults. Overall: total win.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I dined with a large group at the Oar House-including small children-and the restuarant did a fantastic job accomodating our party. Our waitress was friendly and efficient. They do not have formal children's menu but do have several items available such as pasta with butter or marinara sauce, grilled cheese and macaroni and cheese.
Individuals in my party tried the calamari, salmon and seafood bake -which they thought were outstanding. I had the Thai Curry which was extremely flavorful. We ate on the deck and the view as fantastic.
Overall, great food, great service and a great view. I would not hesitate to eat at The Oar House again.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We ate inside to get the full menu. The food was just ok. It was not worth the price! The service was equally ok if not poor. Our server never smiled & came across as unfriendly. I would stick to the outdoor deck & pub fair. At least there's a nice view!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I'm so glad we stopped at the Oar House to take a break during our drive from Maine to Boston. It was a perfect summer day at the Portsmouth Harbor and The Oar House was just right. The seafood is fresh, well prepared, and reasonably priced. I had the haddock and chips - which was excellent. My wife had the clams and raved about them. The service was terrific and the staff was genuinely friendly. The ambiance picture postcard perfect. I'll go back.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We decided on the eating at the Dock (one of the three eating areas). The views are fantastic and had a nice breeze coming off the water. The service was great too. The food was ok but nothing to rave about. This place is very pricey though so be prepared.