“Cozy Gem”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2018

Our dinner here was top notch. Attentive service, delicious food, nice wine selection. All in a cozy, warm, romantic room with French decor. Quick walk from the parking garage in Portsmouth and nearby hotels. Highly recommend !

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed September 21, 2018 via mobile

Went here with my wife for a nice dinner. Very disappointed with the wine list even though the owner tried to rationalize the listing. They call this a wine bar but very cheap wines which are marked up above their value. Food was OK but nothing special. Salmon dish was very bland and unappetizing. My wife had the chicken which was dry and not very favorable. Service was so so. Would not go back or recommend to anyone looking for a nice restaurant.

4  Thank Ron38350
Reviewed September 19, 2018 via mobile

This was our first time here and I have to say what a wonderful place. The service and food were just great. Some very interesting menu items. I had the turkey cordon Blu it was absolutely amazing. Will be a regular stop in portsmouth

Reviewed September 14, 2018 via mobile

For those of you in Manhattan/ NYC that have dined in ‘The House’ in Gramercy, just off Irving Place; this is the equivalent in terms of setting but with better food. Try the scallops to start, they were perfectly cooked and in a flavourful but not over powering sauce. Follow with the seafood stew. The scallops were an optional but this is a must for those of you that ate seafood lovers. Then the profiteroles as a finale. Then you can click this link to give me a helpful vote when you’re day dreaming about your next visit there:) - My boyfriend has the chicken and absolutely loved it. Thanks folks, if you come to NYC try the house too if you like this place

Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I and two friends ate at the Bistro last night
We are "foodies " and have been to France many times as well as fine restaurants in NYC and others. My husband ordered the duck and was told the breast was medium rare. He thought it was over cooked and told the waitress. The owner came swooping over and argued with him. She went
back to the kitchen and then brought us a slice cut to show us it was really medium rare
It wasn't
She came back three or four times, each time with an attitude. The last time she brought us our check, wouldn't serve us dessert and told us that two waitresses wouldn't serve us, basically kicked us out
We were quiet diners , ordered full meals but criticized the duck. The only other thing that might have upset them is that when the waitress came to clear my husband said please wait there is still someone eating. We were raised to wait until everyone finished before clearing so that slow eaters didn't feel uncomfortable. To give credit, we were not charged for the duck; Just thrown out with friends who had traveled to be with us. Never have we experienced such a defensive and rude treatment.
The rest of the food was good although not great.

Sent from my iPhone

Date of visit: August 2018
2  Thank Blini
C S M, Owner at Bridge Street Bistrot & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

When we, as a team, decided to discontinue service to this party on that particular evening, it wasn’t a decision made in haste - there were three other diners at that table who were absolutely respectful throughout the full meal - but it was the best decision for the servers and the rest of our guests that evening.
From standing, wildly waving and loudly speaking into his phone, trying to get the attention of two of the guests joining him who were parked in their car across the street, with total disregard for the other guests in our dining room; to loudly and forcefully berating me for clearing finished appetizer plates when their entrees were ready to be served; to rudely interrupting my colleague, not once but twice, while she was interacting with other guests to address his immediate needs and, finally, to getting his final digs in regarding his duck preparation while clearing their entree plates, my colleague and I had reached the breaking point in our ability to deal with him, while continuing to provide the excellent friendly service we are known for to our other guests. I feel sorry that his other guests weren’t able to enjoy our delicious desserts, but we were done continuing to enable his bad behavior at our, and our other diners, expense.
*There was a disagreement about the magret of duck and he was absolutely offered to choose another entree at no charge. He chose not to and finished the other component of the duck duo entree, the duck confit, as well as its accompaniments. When prepping a duck breast it is a two step process where excess duck fat is rendered (in essence “ a pre cooking”) ahead of time and then finished as part of the overall final entree preparation. His duck breast was bright pink and rendering blood after being cut into - exactly as intended and how it has been presented hundreds, if not thousands of times in our 27 years of business. Outside of serving him a cold precooked slightly more rare section of duck breast, there was no way to undo the initial fat rendering stage and to have the duck cooked to a temperature that is safe to eat. This is why he was offered to choose another entree.