“Great Babaganoush”
Review of Zahtar - CLOSED

Zahtar
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Reviewed April 14, 2013

If there was better parking I would be eating lunch here more frequently. I love their humus and babaganoush. Pita bread is pretty good. This little block in Portsmouth has become interesting and I do recommend it for lunch. No table service though.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I wanted some grilled food and what better place to try then a Mediterranean place. This gem had amazing selections and you can tell the owner/chef hand picks best quality ingredients to go in the food served and takes pride in every meal prepared. I had the chicken shwarma and also purchase the cardamon cookie style baklava. I was so happy with how everything tasted, that I went back everyday for lunch for 4 days and got the same thing. Will be visiting again soon to try something else.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We found Zahtar on a side street during a pit stop in Portsmouth, driving home from Maine. Very surprised with the pleasant, casual, very clean interior. We often try Middle Eastern food for a change of pace, and have found many places that we wouldn't return to. Not so for Zahtar. The lentil soup was outstanding, and just as described with a good amount of spice. The falafel wrap was so tasty. You can add as many condiments as you want to make it into a substantial meal. This restaurant will be on our lunch list for our next trip.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

After some bad experiences with another Greek restaurant nearby we have taken to Zahtar. I highly recommend the chickpeas. I will say, when it is slow, the food is not as good as when there is a more full staff.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband and I go to Zahtar's regularly and love how fresh and carefully prepared the food is. Their Middle-Eastern / Mediterranean menu is diverse, interesting and healthy. Regular menu items that we love include chickpea fries, Caprese salad and the cucumber salad. They have unexpected goodies in their daily specials like chocolate hummus (which we were surprised we loved). The interior features warm colors and a very high ceiling covered in decorative tin. They even include a corner with toys for kids to entertain themselves. The counter staff are friendly and love the food too.Given the quality of the food, the downtown location and the beautiful interior, the prices are more than reasonable. We think it is one of the best buys in Portsmouth.