“Fresh, Healthy Mediterranean Sandwich Bar”
Review of Zahtar - CLOSED

Zahtar
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dover, New Hampshire
“Fresh, Healthy Mediterranean Sandwich Bar”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Zahtar is located within a block of the Portsmouth Parking Garage, and is conveniently located between Hanover and Congress streets in Portsmouth. My wife, another couple and I went there for dinner on January 28, 2011. The space in which Zahtar is located has been recently remodeled, and the interior is bright and attractive.

Ordering at Zahtar is cafeteria style. A large menu is behind the counter. You approach the counter, order, and your selections are made in front of you behind a large pelixigas window. You can easily see the meals as they are made. There is no waitstaff at Zahtar, you bring your food to one of approximatley 8 tables.

My wife ordered a chicken shawarma on flatbread, chick pea fries and cucumber salad. I ordered a falafel on flatbread, jedra and baba ghanoush. We also order the Mediterranean Nachos, a large bowl of pita chips, choice of two hummus, tomato, cumcumber, feta cheese, baba ghanoush,olives and preserved lemons. Had we known how large the 'nachos" would be, we would have either split a sandwich or not ordered the nachos. That is not a complaint, but a compliment!

Our sandwiches were very tasty and fresh. It's rare to eat out today without feeling that you have consumned 3 days worth of calories. Not so with Zahtar.

Zahtar is BYOB, which it's patrons have embraced. When we were there, three other tables had brought their own alcoholic bevarages. We did also.

The tab for our two dinner meals, the mediterranean nachos and a bottle of water came to $27.00. Very reasonable for the quality of the ingredients, and the size of the portions.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank jebblackfish

Franklin, Massachusetts
“Past reviewers were I guess to a different restaurant!”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Terrible, more like a fast food Subway type. I was expecting some "Mediterranean food".

• Visited December 2011
New England
“Delicious food, generous-sized portions, and good prices”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I was thrilled to hear that a Middle Eastern restaurant had come to town! I've already been multiple times and I love it! The food I've had has been delicious. And, I like how many veggie etc. sandwich and salad add-ons there are.

Sharon MA, USA
“bad hummus --what were they thinking?”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I go to Israel at least once per year. I know what good hummus tastes like. I had a sampler that included two kinds of hummus -- lemon and black bean. Both tasted really bad -- inedible.

I also had a greek salad and baba ganouj -- it was ok.

the pita bread was not particularly fresh -- any decent middle eastern restaurant should have fresh, tasty bread. This tasted like the kind of pita bread you get at the supermarket.

Visited November 2011
Zahtar, Owner at Zahtar, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Sir, I am sorry that you were not happy with your experience at Zahtar. I am disappointed, however, that you did not bring your issue to our attention at that time. We take a lot of pride in the food we prepare and want everyone to have a great experience at our restaurant. If something is wrong, we want to make it right immediately. It is disheartening to see a bad review (our first ever) and not being able to make it right. Thank you for you patronage.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fresh take on Mediterranean”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Love Zahtar! I'be been several times now and have been able to get things on my diet, but the food was so fabulous I felt like I was cheating. Their salad dressings are made from scratch and the best I've had.

We can take the whole family from my 3 year old up to my mother-in-law with gluten allergies. There's something for everyone. There's even a children's area to keep them entertained so that the adults can actually have a relaxing conversation.

Love it and will be a loyal customer for sure!

1 Thank khamlet