“Perfect Taste”

Ranked #29 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: An intimate dining room where guests enjoy the spectacular view of the Piscataqua River, The Wellington Room offers seasonally inspired menus which change regularly
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I made reservations at the Wellington Room for my girlfriend's birthday. The experience was excellent.
Location/Atmosphere: The space is rustic; you climb up a set of stairs to get to the restaurant. It almost feels like you're walking into somebody's apartment. The bar is directly ahead as you enter, with the dining area off to the right. The location offers wonderful views of the river. As we booked dinner at six, we were in the perfect position to watch a gorgeous sunset.
Service: Our waitress was very, very attentive and friendly. As I had mentioned my girlfriend's birthday when making reservations, they gave her a card signed by the entire staff! The chef came out to say hello to us at the table, asking about our night. It was a really nice touch, totally unexpected and very appreciated.
Price: It's priced where you'd expect great food in a nice, romantic location to be priced. A three course dinner for two, with a bottle of wine, ran about $105 before tip. It was worth every penny.
THE FOOD: I have saved the best for last. The food was incredible. The flavor combinations were well designed and the cooking was nothing short of masterful. The table next to us was insisting that the chef, Matthew, "must be Gordon Ramsey's son". We heard several tables in the room "oohing" and "ahhhing" over their food and I have to admit that we were too! The food is that good.

1  Thank CJBGLO

Reviewed January 5, 2009

Our recent visit to the newly owned Wellington Room provided us with our best dining experience in Portsmouth to date. From the moment we walked through the door until the time we left we were treated like old friends; pampered the entire time.
At first glance you are struck by the intimate, romantic surroundings accented by soft lighting and candles. Then you realize you have access to the premiere vantage point in town, overlooking the harbor. If there's a better "first date" spot in the area I haven't seen it. HINT: Try to make your reservation far enough in advance to request a table by the windows.
That brings us to our table service, our waitress was impeccable. She provided us with helpful suggestions on our wine pairing and was never obtrusive during the course of our meal.
And what a meal that was! We picked the wonderful pumpkin soup and Caesar salad for starters, both were fantastic preparations for what followed. After a difficult decision making process I had the Beef Bourguignonne. And what a bowlful of earthly delights it was, the meat, the vegetables and broth all blended together to form the happiest of marriages in my mouth. My date chose the Moroccan Couscous and she reported that she had never tasted finer. Both were complimented by the bottle of Juan Gil (Jumilla Red Wine) that our server suggested.
We followed our meals with a single dessert special of handmade chocolate truffles served with fresh berries and two glasses of port.
We left with smiles on our faces and are eager to return. A magnificent night! Thank you.

1  Thank The_Wanderers57
Reviewed January 5, 2009

I have eaten at the Wellington Room several times and each time I have loved it! The scallops were perfectly cooked. I also loved the crab cakes which came with three wonderful dipping sauces (especially loved the remoulade). The space is very cozy and the staff is very welcoming. They have a gorgeous bar and a wonderful view of the river. I live in Boston and love to stop at the Wellington Room whenever I go to Portsmouth or on my way to Maine. I have recommended this place to a bunch of people.

1  Thank bostonapple
Reviewed November 24, 2008

My husband and I just came back from an over night in Portsmouth.We decided to ignor the hotel's suggestion for dinner and try the top rated Wellington Room. What a mistake. Although the restaurant's setting is very charming, the food was horrible. My duck confit potstickers were served cold and the the scallop entree was salty and served with a parsnip puree that had the consistancy of hair gel. My husband had halibut with bread pudding. Although the halibut was fine the bread pudding was a mystery. Needless to say,we won't be back.

2  Thank rjoemmons
Reviewed November 16, 2008

The food was excellent. The food was cooked to perfection and had great flavor.

The wine list needs a little more variety and it needs to be priced more appropriately.

There was a problem w/ the service at the end of the meal. The waitress did not add the tip to the bill for a party of 6 initially. When she returned our credit cards to us she had written in the tip for us not recognizing that we had already tipped her 20% in cash. When we explained it to her she didn't understand and gave us a "whatever" type response rather then an apology.

This issue changed my opinion of the restaurant and will prevent me from recommending it in the future.

Sorry guys thumbs up for food, thumbs down for wine list and two thumbs down for professionalism.

4  Thank ronunes