“Comfortable surroundings for a wonderful meal”

The Wellington Room
Ranked #25 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: An intimate dining room where guests enjoy the spectacular view of the Piscataqua River, The Wellington Room offers seasonally inspired menus which change regularly
Summerville, South Carolina
“Comfortable surroundings for a wonderful meal”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

It's many years since we were last in Portsmouth: Wow it's really changed! Bustling, vibrant and alive. Our hosts in New England invited us to the Wellington Room for a special dinner to wind up our visit.Dinner was delightful, our wine was excellent and the ambiance was perfect; overlooking the water and the bridges up river. The service was perfect and we left there feeling satisfied and full.The wellington room does take reservations and I really reccomend that, when you make them, you ask for as window table.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Grumley3

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Loved the food, friendly service”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This place is tiny, so I highly recommend making a reservation. The tables by the window have an amazing view. The food was fantastic. I tried the fish, and my husband had the steak. Both were excellent. I also highly recommend the mushroom crepe and the chocolate mousse.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Carlos P
Mons, Belgium
“Wedding Reception - Knocked it Out of the Park!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

After some significant research in Portsmouth for a reception venue, we narrowed the search down to a few. After meeting with the owner, Karen, seeing the restaurant and discussing a plan, our mind was made up. Of course the ambiance and view are incredible, but that only gets a restaurant so far. I'll focus on what keeps the WR at the top of the game. All options were on the table for us - tailor our reception as we please. Bring in any decoration, request any meal/beverage option, play any music and stay/dance as late as we wanted...the place was "ours" until the wee hours of the morning if we chose. All for a very reasonable price. Karen was so accommodating - offering her suggestions and opinions, but at the end of the day, conceded to whatever my wife or I chose. The food was out of this world. Every single member of my family raved about the passed apps, dinner and dessert. 4 apps came around for what seemed like forever...delicious! 4 different offerings for dinner - an amazing shellfish risotto, succulent baked stuffed haddock, fork-tender filet mignon and juicy roasted chicken...all local fare. I have quite a few foodies and naturally critical people in my family...impressing them is no small feat and it seemed to be accomplished with ease. No one spent a minute hungry or thirsty...extremely attentive, competent and professional staff. We highly recommend dinner or a wedding reception at the Wellington Room. We were blown away. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank ryno7799
Haverhill,Massachusetts
“A perfect restaurant to celebrate a special occasion, especially a romantic one!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We chose this restaurant based on Trip advisor & Yelp, we we not disappointed. The waitstaff was gracious & accommodating. The food was prepared perfectly as ordered.
We had a reservation for an anniversary dinner & requested a window as the restaurant is on the second floor with a spectacular view of the river/harbor area. We were taken to a 2top on the side but when we asked about a recently vacated window table,it was no trouble. They offered us a glass of wine & got the table set for us. It was the beginning of a wonderful dining experience.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Irishmom4
Stafford, Virginia
“You punted that one Wellington Room!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I consulted TA prior to selecting the Wellington Room as a gift for my mother's birthday. There are many good reviews of the restaurant and I was confident that they would put on a good show. Wrong.

From what I'm told the female owner blatantly patronized my mom and her husband when they asked if they could be seated minutes prior to the restaurant opening. (Is that request such a big deal?) The woman suggested they take a short walk and "come back when they were opened." Again - not a huge deal, but when they returned a few minutes later there were people who had already been seated. What the? Also, for the record - my folks had made reservations, so they weren't showing up "unannounced." Another thing - my folks recall being "rushed" into finishing their meal, perhaps due to the high volume of folks (like themselves) coming in for a Valentine's Day meal.

My folks were willing to overlook the owner's bad attitude but the meal was only so-so. I mean, how delicious could it have been when the first thing you're given is a stiff arm from a sourpuss owner? Unfortunately, even the nice ambience and wonderful view of the harbor couldn't save the day.

My recommendation is to consider the Wellington Room and brace for impact, especially if the owners are in a grouchy mood!

• Visited February 2013