“Nice place to celebrate our anniverary”

The Wellington Room
Ranked #31 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: An intimate dining room where guests enjoy the spectacular view of the Piscataqua River, The Wellington Room offers seasonally inspired menus which change regularly
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I spent Saturday night in Portsmouth in advance of a business meeting in Boston and we celebrated our third anniversary at the Wellington Room. (We are in our 60s,) The restaurant is cozy, quiet and romantic with a beautiful view of the Piscataqua River dividing New Hampshire and Maine. Our server, who also greeted us when we arrived, was a pleasant and friendly young woman who provided first rate professional service,

A nice bottle of pinot grigio during the sunset was a good start to the meal. The food was excellent. There were no appetizers suitable for sharing and my wife had the Wellington Salad, with blue cheese, fresh pears and walnuts, which was very good but too big. I had a very nice Thai shrimp bisque with just the right taste of seasoning. My wife's entree was the special of the day: a very fresh cod. Mine was braised pork that was very tender and tasty, although just a few degrees too cool on one side of the plate. Desert was ice cream with chocolate whiskey sauce for my wife and one of the best sorbets I've had for me. My wife reported that the French pressed coffee was wonderful. My tea again could have been a bit hotter.

All in all a very pleasant and relaxing evening. We look forward to returning.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

This place is tiny... above some shops overlooking the harbor. Make sure to call ahead because it only has about 10 tables. The food is to die for and the service is wonderful. I can't recall what I had, but it was GOOD.

The prices are actually quite reasonable- we did a tugboat ride and dinner combo package which ended up being a really great deal. Look into it- I can't remember what it is called but it was with Tugboat Alley.

Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Great place! Cozy great views food is true New England. Great for romantic night out. Valet parking a plus. Owners are on hand and it shows. We live in Florida but visit up here often. We will definately be back!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I've had several meals at the Wellington Room over the last two years. Each has been truly excellent. The menu always has several choices that look delicious. Most recently I had the Roasted Beet and Warm Chevre Salad to start and followed this with the Scallop Scampi which was superb. My partner was very pleased with a selection of four appetizers.

I can also recommend the Wellington Room for private functions. We held my son and daughter-in-law's rehearsal dinner there about 18 months ago. It was a very special occasion and the evening was a total success.

I highly recommend the Wellington Room -- one of my favoriate restaurants anywhere!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We heard a lot for the restaurant but being honest we got a little bit dissapointed!The food is ok but nothing special!I had mushroom soup and filet mignon!The soup was not tasty.The filet was excellent but the sauce that was coming with was not nice at all!I had also the feeling that the mash potatoes were ready made!Really the location and the atmosphere is nice but for the food only average!

1  Thank kaliami123
NHBeignet, Owner at The Wellington Room, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Kaliami123,

We are sorry to hear you did not have a great time at The Wellington Room. We strive to make every customer's experience an optimal one. Please be assured that all of our food is made from scratch, including the mashed potatoes, which are made daily from yukon gold potatoes, milk, butter and salt...that's all.
Hope to see you again in the future.

Respectfully,