“Fantastic- call ahead!”

The Wellington Room
Ranked #26 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: An intimate dining room where guests enjoy the spectacular view of the Piscataqua River, The Wellington Room offers seasonally inspired menus which change regularly
Boston, MA
“Fantastic- call ahead!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This place is tiny... above some shops overlooking the harbor. Make sure to call ahead because it only has about 10 tables. The food is to die for and the service is wonderful. I can't recall what I had, but it was GOOD.

The prices are actually quite reasonable- we did a tugboat ride and dinner combo package which ended up being a really great deal. Look into it- I can't remember what it is called but it was with Tugboat Alley.

Visited March 2012

“Real New England”
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Great place! Cozy great views food is true New England. Great for romantic night out. Valet parking a plus. Owners are on hand and it shows. We live in Florida but visit up here often. We will definately be back!

Topsham, Maine
“Always Excellent in Every Way”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I've had several meals at the Wellington Room over the last two years. Each has been truly excellent. The menu always has several choices that look delicious. Most recently I had the Roasted Beet and Warm Chevre Salad to start and followed this with the Scallop Scampi which was superb. My partner was very pleased with a selection of four appetizers.

I can also recommend the Wellington Room for private functions. We held my son and daughter-in-law's rehearsal dinner there about 18 months ago. It was a very special occasion and the evening was a total success.

I highly recommend the Wellington Room -- one of my favoriate restaurants anywhere!

• Visited January 2013
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“not something special”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We heard a lot for the restaurant but being honest we got a little bit dissapointed!The food is ok but nothing special!I had mushroom soup and filet mignon!The soup was not tasty.The filet was excellent but the sauce that was coming with was not nice at all!I had also the feeling that the mash potatoes were ready made!Really the location and the atmosphere is nice but for the food only average!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank kaliami123
NHBeignet, Owner at The Wellington Room, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Kaliami123,

We are sorry to hear you did not have a great time at The Wellington Room. We strive to make every customer's experience an optimal one. Please be assured that all of our food is made from scratch, including the mashed potatoes, which are made daily from yukon gold potatoes, milk, butter and salt...that's all.
Hope to see you again in the future.

Respectfully,

Matthew Sharlot, Chef/Owner The Wellington Room
Boston, MA
“Don't Risk It”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Poor overall - would NOT recommend....and never even tried the food. The bottom line - poor customer service, poor restaurant management and not worth risking a special night out.

To put it in perspective- my husband and I eat out a fair amount- we love fine dining as well as love finding cozy intimate places with good food. I am also a frequent business traveler so I'm not unfamiliar with mishaps and actually pretty forgiving of them because I understand everything doesn't go off like clockwork but this truly was bad.

What happened:

I made a reservation for Saturday night at 8:15pm. We arrived at 8:10pm and were told that our table wouldn't be ready for 30 mins or more because the people with the reservation ahead of us arrived late (got lost/were from out of town/blah blah). However, that wasn't the worst of it. The woman/hostess told us to go next door and have a drink and she'd call us when a table became available. I watched her write my cell number down but she NEVER called....ever! Thankfully, this was a night out with friends and not a special night with my husband. I cannot comment on food because I never had it. I'd seriously re-consider a making a reservation for a special night with them because I wouldn't trust they'd honor it even if you did go to have a drink and wait for the call. We ended up waiting for the call until 9pm and then grabbed a snack. Extremely unprofessional- would not recomment!

Visited November 2012
3 Thank KfromBoston
NHBeignet, Owner at The Wellington Room, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear KfromBoston:
We feel embarrassed and very sorry for our mistake on the night of your reservation. In the midst of the dinner rush bustle, we did indeed forget to call you back. There is no excuse for this error and we apologize.

Please allow us to make it up to you by hosting you and two of your friends for dinner on the house whenever it is convenient for you.

Once again, we apologize for the the unintentional discourtesy. Please accept our heartfelt apology and our genuine offer of reconciliation by way of the complementary meal.

Matthew and Karen Sharlot, Owners The Wellington Room