“Best Indian Food north of Boston”

Shalimar India Restaurant
Ranked #54 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Vienna, Virginia
“Best Indian Food north of Boston”
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Great! Great! Great!

I love this Indian food. So much flavor, really good selection.

Fantastic owners. Service and atmosphere isn't all that great, but the food is outstanding.

I travel all over, and try indian periodically, its hard to compare to Shalimar.

If you like Indian, or would like to try, you cannot go wrong with Shalimar.

(True story. I worked with a lady who lives in Manhattan, but had lived in Exeter for many years. When she heard I lived near Portsmouth, she made it a point to tell me to try Shalimar (had already done so). In her words: "I havent found Indian food in NYC to beat Shalimar.")

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Completely satisfy my craving for HOT and Spicy.”
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Completely satisfy my craving for HOT and Spicy.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
hampton, nh
“Not that Good”
Reviewed July 10, 2008

Indian food is my favorite type, and I was hoping to have my expectations exceeded here. Many of my friends had raved about this place and its food/service. The service was good the day I went but the food was only okay. I compared it to the Bollywood Grill in Andover, MA where I usually go and found Shalimar to be lacking. There weren't many options for lassi and I wasn't that impressed with the menu. I will not recommend this place to anyone. Just drive a bit out of your way and get the better food.

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“BEST Indian food on the seacoast”
Reviewed May 13, 2008

My boyfriend and I had been to other Indian restaurants, including some in England, and we were a little nervous when we came to Portsmouth about the quality of the Indian. We decided to try Shalimar India late one night after we'd spent all day moving. What a wonderful surprise! The spices were perfect -- better than many other Indian placed I'd been to in New Hampshire. The owner of the restaurant took care of us personally, and spoke excellent English despite his heavy Indian accent. We had a great conversation, and when the food came we were blown away. Every ingredient tasted really fresh and there was so much complexity to the spices. The nan breads are really to die for; I recommend getting the "puffy bread" which is very tasty but is also fun because it looks like a big puffy soccer ball-sized puff.
My boyfriend loves spicy food and requested that his Lamb Vindaloo be very hot (since they offer levels of spicyness, I ordered mine Medium/Hot) and they didn't disappoint. He said it was the spiciest Indian he's ever had, and even thought maybe next time he'd take it down a notch. Mine, however, we perfect and we both really thoroughly enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. Thankfully, they kept us well watered, which to me is the mark of a really good restaurant. If they give you a drink then forget about refills, that's not good. No worries here though.
Better yet, they're open late for take out, so if you have a late night Indian craving you're all set! Highly recommended!

New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Indian around”
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Shalimar has been a consistent bit of heaven for me and my husband for over 5 years. The food is excellent, the servers come frequently with fresh water, etc., the room is cozy, the Indian music is "exotic" yet relaxing and the manager has a wonderful "tableside" manner. In spite of having a somewhat tender tummy when it comes to spices, I Love Shalimar's complex and subtle seasoning combinations. I have dined in good Indian restaurants in London, and Shalimar is just as satisfying.

1 Thank Luv_t0_Eat