“One of the worst Indian restuarants I've ever dined at”

Shalimar India Restaurant
Ranked #71 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We went to this restaurant on our last night in Portsmouth. After eating nothing but delicious meals at other restaurants, we thought we couldn't go wrong. We were wrong! The service was poor to begin with. We ordered the chicken and lamb kebobs that come grilled and skewered. They had been over cooked and therefore were dry and unedible. They were poorly seasoned which didn't help either. We asked for mint chutney on the side to try to make them taste better. Now usually, no, ALWAYS, mint chutney is a complimentary condiment! This chutney was so watered down and pretty tasteless as well. Now when we received our bill, the waitress had the nerve to charge us an extra $2 for the chutney! Now to someone who doesn't know indian restaurants or the food, you might be thinking why am I complaining about a $2.00 charge. Trust me, its a big deal and completely bogus. We had ordered one chicken dish and one lamb dish as well, both of which were less than memorable. After a very dissatisfying meal, seeing that extra $2.00 charge for basically a bowl of water that we barely touched, made the meal all that much worse. Stay AWAY from this restaurant!!!

1  Thank truffles17

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Gorgeous place! Service was impeccable, seating is decadent. The food was fresh and full of complex, layered flavors, great presentation. it was a wonderful culinary experience! Looking forward to visiting again!

1  Thank karebear70
Reviewed April 14, 2013

When I walk in the door my Mango Lassi is waiting for me!

When my husband and I travel we always try the local Indian restaurants and have not found one more delicious than Shalimar. I eat there once or twice a week and find their food very good on a consistent basis. Their portions are huge and I find it an excellent value. I love the servers, they are so sweet and eager to please. I understand that they are all from the chef's family.

Try the lamb dishes as the lamb is always so tender, no matter what the sauce. Their paneer nan is also outstanding. The mango lassi drinks are wonderful with a touch of rose water.

The waitress said the restaurant is redecorating. I look forward to see the new changes.

I cannot recommend this place enough!

1  Thank Jamilla E
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Inspite of us being 4 and a baby, they still seated us on a small table which could barely fit 4 people. When we asked to be seated on a bigger table, the waiter (I think his name was Ishwar - he is a buy guy with and a deep voice) said that those tables we reserved. For the entire 1 1/2 hour that we were there, nobody occupied any of the bigger tables, and when we were about to leave, there were just 15 mins before the restaurant would close. I doubt anybody would have come and occupied those tables in that time. No sooner had we ordered appetizers than the waiter made us order the main course (without even the appetizers having come). When the main courses came, we found that they were far too spicy for our taste. Please stay away from the Garlic Naan in particular. To give you an idea about how spicy the Naan was, consider this : The couple with us were from Andhra Pradesh .. arguably the culture with the spiciest food in India. After eating the Garlic Naan they too had tears in their eyes. Please note that we did NOT specify that the food be made spicy. You think this was it..but oh no!..My baby was causing a commotion so to distract her I took her over to an empty table, and Ishwar immediately came over and sprayed disinfectant on the table right in my 11 month-old's face. So when we were all done, we asked them to pack up the food and give us a few mins to decide on dessert..But he didn't even give us 2 mins, as he came with a check. And guess what!! Inspite of there being 3 entrees and naans and rice leftover, all he packed was the rice and the so-spicy-you'll-die naan!!

Pros None

Cons Inhospitable waiter, very spicy food, most kid UNfriendly

The Bottom Line Stay away...the food and the service are both loathesome.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have gotten take out and visited Shalimar numerous times in the last several years. It used to be consistently delicious! This is my second try dining at Shalimar in the last six months and clearly they have a new chef. I used to love their chicken biryani...it was moist with cashews and golden raisins and just the right amount of spice. The "new" biryani is dry, lumpy and dare I say a bit like minute rice. The curry was ok...but a tad too salty and like a previous diner I agree it had a cheap tomato sauce taste. The aloo mutter...was again bland with too much salt with too much onion and not enough sauce. Oh where has the old Shalimar gone???? This food was so disappointing. The service was very good and I felt bad explaining our food was sub par. I would recommend Tulsi in Kittery if you are looking for tasty Indian cuisine....sad to say that Shalimar has gone downhill.

1  Thank JED2011