“Excellent Indian food in Portsmouth”

Shalimar India Restaurant
Ranked #52 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Vlodrop, The Netherlands
“Excellent Indian food in Portsmouth”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Pleasant service (we arrived just before closing time, but they greeted us graciously and did not make us feel rushed), delicious, refined north Indian dishes, nice decor.

Visited August 2012

Gilford
“Friendly service, good food, fair price”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This is teh second time we have visited this Portsmouth establishment. Each time the food was very good and fairly priced. The lamb saag was excellant and prepared without cream as requested. The deep fried veggies were realy good too.

• Visited July 2012
Boston
“Great place!!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Have been dining here since they opened almost 20 years ago. The food is great and the service is fantastic!!!!

Visited December 2011
Acton, Massachusetts
“Excellent Lamb Vindaloo”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Nice and spicy with lots of layers of flavor. Vegetable samosas are killer. Nicely decorated in Indian motive we all enjoyed our meal (and we eat at Indian restaurants a lot).

Visited June 2012
Hampton, New Hampshire
“Horrible place - avoid, there are better around”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I'd been to this restaurant about 5 times now after the first time from the quality and flavor of the food served I recall thinking the food, service and price made this place not worth visiting again. Since that time I was dragged back by others and decided that I wouldn't go back until last week after a year or so I decided to get some takeout.
As someone who can understand but not speak various Indian languages it's always interesting for me to go into an Indian restaurant and listen to what is being said when the staff think no one can understand them. While I was waiting for my takeout (which was about 10 minutes wait) I noticed the owner who was serving food insulting customers by their description and also calling his kitchen crew some of the most colorful things I've heard. I saw this going on for around 10 minutes and while peeking through the galley window into the kitchen I noticed all of the chefs not wearing hair nets and handling all different kinds of foods with their hands. This truly put me off what I was about to eat as I could see there was no care or attention taken to cross contamination of meat, fish, poultery and vegetables. In the past I have been to this restaurant with vegetarians and considering how the majority of India is vegetarian I would have thought they would have made sure not to handle vegetarian food with hands that had been handling meat moments ago but that's not the case - I urge you to take a look through the window at what goes on in the Kitchen.
From what I saw I would never return to this restaurant - there are others relatively nearby which are much better (although not as good as they should be) such as Taste of India in Newburyport, MA or Tusli in Kittery, ME.
If you really want to try good Indian food you really need to be heading towards Boston and check out the Somerville, Medford areas for authentic food with good flavor and quality and into the heart of Boston for Indian fine dining.
Do yourself a favor and try somewhere else - this restaurant is truly a joke to Indian cuisine.

• Visited June 2012