“Very Good Seafood in a nicely appointed restaurant”

Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe
Ranked #14 of 229 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
Description: Located just two blocks down from Market Square in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jumpin' Jay's is a local foodie enclave serving refined seafood in a sleek restaurant setting. The quality of fare is unsurpassed, with fish arriving daily from local fisherman as well as some exotic catches from locations such as New Zealand and Ecuador. Four to six varieties of fish appear on the ever-changing "Catch of the Day" menu, complimented by your choice of gourmet sauce. Our raw bar offers an extensive variety of shellfish found in New Hampshire. Our specialties menu offers more traditional flavor, including Maine Crab Cakes, Haddock Piccata and our popular Linguine in White Clam Sauce. The atmosphere is casually hip, with no pretense. Reservations encouraged. Open seven nights a week.
Reviewed June 10, 2019

Excellent service in a busy but comfortable venue. Halibut (Atlantic!) was excellent as were the oysters (three choices), the creme carmel and a sublime blueberry short cake. Very adequate (but not overwhemlming) wine list with good price/quality ratios. Good central location in downtown `Portsmouth.

Date of visit: May 2019
Management603, Public Relations Manager at Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2019

Hi Ray,
Thank you for dining with us at Jumpin' Jay's. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you were able to enjoy the local Halibut we had this weekend along with oysters and dessert! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,036)

Reviewed June 2, 2019 via mobile

Resteraunt interior dated and basic. Food is very good as is the service. Nice wine list. The problem is the place is like eating on an airport tarmac. The ceilings are very low and there are no acoustic dampeners. Eveyone needs to use theor outside voice in order to be heard.

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank John S
Reviewed May 31, 2019 via mobile

If you love fish and shellfish, this is the place, as lots of folks are well aware. Crazy busy. Started with a terrific cocktail: the Beet Hive (beet-infused gin, plus ginger liqueur, plus lemon, etc.), oysters and Arctic char—all was perfection, and my group was equally happy. Alas, although it was only 6 pm, the soft shell crab had been gone since noon. (Order more next time!)

Date of visit: May 2019
Management603, Public Relations Manager at Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2019

Hello,
Thank you for taking time to write a review! We are happy to hear you enjoyed the Beet Hive, oysters and Arctic Char. We aim to provide the best service to compliment our tasty food! We hope you come back soon!

Reviewed May 24, 2019

First, we took advantage of the shuck-a-buck special, and enjoyed incredibly salty oysters on the half shell--- so good you didn't need the mignonette, but the gingery notes were delightful!! We shared a series of small plates for our dinner. The tuna tartare and crab cakes were great, but by far our favorite was a special for the night, a most amazing lobster and papperdelle--- a tangy tomato base with a sweet note from the herbs, none of which overpowered the chunks of lobster. We shared the clams and linguine as our last dish, and I've never had better--- whole clams nestled among chunks of clam in a garlicky tart cream sauce. A great meal!

Date of visit: May 2019
Management603, Public Relations Manager at Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We are happy to hear you enjoyed everything from the oysters to the crab cakes to the lobster papperdelle special! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 13, 2019

i have never previously taken to tripadvisor to post a negative review, but the dinner I just had was awful - and for thr price, was a crime. I ordered the tuna, done rare as per my usual and the chef's recommendation. First, the tuna arrived cold. in my experience, although rare, it should have been a bit warm. The really surprising thing was that the tuna had absolutely no flavor - none! I told this to the waitress and she asked if I wanted her to take it back to the kitchen. I said no and she said she would inform the chef of my comment. As I continued to eat, I regretted my decision to finish the meal. I never received any feedback from the chef or anyone else and to my surprise was charged full price for the dinner and my glass of wine. When I left I thought the meal was so bad that I should have refused to pay for anything other than the wine. I realize this is a brutal review, but it is well deserved and I hate getting ripped off. I would never consider this restaurant again. On the other hand, last night I had a great dinner at Surf restaurant!

Date of visit: May 2019
Management603, Public Relations Manager at Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2019

Hi John,
Thank you for your feedback on your dining experience with us. Typically we give our guests the opportunity to get something else if they are unhappy with their meal. We apologize you did not get that opportunity and were not satisfied with your experience. We hope you will give us another chance to demonstrate the service we aim to provide.