“Great Seafood ”

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
Description: Located just two blocks down from Market Square in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jumpin' Jay's is a local foodie enclave serving refined seafood in a sleek restaurant setting. The quality of fare is unsurpassed, with fish arriving daily from local fisherman as well as some exotic catches from locations such as New Zealand and Ecuador. Four to six varieties of fish appear on the ever-changing "Catch of the Day" menu, complimented by your choice of gourmet sauce. Our raw bar offers an extensive variety of shellfish found in New Hampshire. Our specialties menu offers more traditional flavor, including Maine Crab Cakes, Haddock Piccata and our popular Linguine in White Clam Sauce. The atmosphere is casually hip, with no pretense. Reservations encouraged. Open seven nights a week.
Reviewed April 14, 2019 via mobile

Recommendation! The seafood is very good. They have a nice raw bar and nice fish dishes. Also, service was quick and friednly

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank Alex R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,036)

Reviewed January 2, 2019

We had dinner at Jumpin' Jays for the first time this New year's eve past. It was spectacular. We started of splitting a 1/2 dozen oysters (very fresh). My wife had the clams over pasta, I had the Lobster special (also served over pasta). The food was served piping hot by a pleasant server. Despite it being a very busy night in Portsmouth, the service was excellent both at our table and at the bar for after dinner refreshments. The place has an interesting, non- pretentious vibe. Where we sat (adjacent to the bar) it may have been a bit loud for some, not for us. We will be back for sure.

1  Thank Cadillacjay
Reviewed December 30, 2018 via mobile

Calamari was a good app. The swordfish was rancid we should have rejected it but we did not. Ordered a side of green beans that were cold and the portion was very low. Seating was not prime. Ambiance needs a lot more Tuna was one of the worst we ever had. To top it off we were both sick as dogs when we got home. Not going to be returning anytime soon. To top it off the meal was not cheap and it was our 5th anniversary so not happy

2  Thank TMC159
Reviewed December 30, 2018 via mobile

Let me start by saying my wife and I had an outstanding meal. From start to finish food was top notch.
Only problem here is the table for two setups. All the table for twos are together in an "alley" used by the wait staff or patrons visiting the restrooms. Shouldn't have the penalized to eat here as a couple.

1  Thank nalasunny
Reviewed December 13, 2018 via mobile

We found our self back at jumpin' Jay's for dinner while visiting Portsmouth. I have to say, that this meal was as good as, if not better, than before. We started with a dozen mixed oysters with we're crisp and clean. I enjoyed the house made black pepper pasta with seafood. There was more seafood than pasta - seafood was done to perfection. My friend enjoy the swordfish special which looked wonderful. For dessert we split the seasonal winter spice creme brulee with a poached pear which was yummy - the pair could have been the desert and I would have been happy. The wait staff was wonderful despite a full house.

Definitely a winner in my mind.

1  Thank Bicostal