“Fish the way it should be”

Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe
Ranked #7 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
Description: Located just two blocks down from Market Square in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jumpin' Jay's is a local foodie enclave serving refined seafood in a sleek restaurant setting. The quality of fare is unsurpassed, with fish arriving daily from local fisherman as well as some exotic catches from locations such as New Zealand and Ecuador. Four to six varieties of fish appear on the ever-changing "Catch of the Day" menu, complimented by your choice of gourmet sauce. Our raw bar offers an extensive variety of shellfish found in New Hampshire. Our specialties menu offers more traditional flavor, including Maine Crab Cakes, Haddock Piccata and our popular Linguine in White Clam Sauce. The atmosphere is casually hip, with no pretense. Reservations encouraged. Open seven nights a week.
Reviewed May 8, 2010

We've been to Jumpin' Jays several times but last night topped them all. I had the pan seared halibut with lobster veloute sauce - awesome. My friends had the Yellow fin tuna salad - all three diners were thrilled. We had three apps. The calamari was wonderful, the escargot ok (needs some garlic, I think), and the fried oysters were were spectacular. We wrapped it up with one of the finest creme brulees I've ever had.

I'm a bit mystified by some of the previous reviews. I think those that were disappointed should choose one of those overly creative places down the street - the ones that pile all sorts of odd items on top of each other - looks more like art than food. This restaurant simply delivers some of the best straight up fish dishes we've had on the Seacoast. What's better than choosing your favorite catch of the day and then selecting your own sauce?

My biggest complaint over the years has been the acoustics - a bit deafening in the past. It appears they have worked on that. Last night was busy, but we were able to chat nicely without yelling. Be aware that this is a bistro style eatery - fun and lively. For a super quiet romantic meal, search elsewhere.

The service was excellent - team style waitstaff means all your entrees hit at once. The martini was great too. We'll be back and will send friends!

There are newer reviews for Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe

Reviewed May 2, 2010

If you've visiting Portsmouth and you're thinking about seafood, go here. The food is good and frequently local. On Tuesdays, Oysters are $1 but check their web site to see when this promo ends. We always take people here because it's always good.

Reviewed April 24, 2010

my sister friend and i went there went last year and had a good meal , this time just terrible we had six or seven people waiting on us taking the dish one time i wasn't finished with my first course but every time you looked up some one was comming by to see if we were finished, i said wow how come so many people, they said every one helps every one , , my sister had maccaroni with clam sauces it had no taste , it cost us 55 dollars each , with drinks would not go back not relaxing at all

1  Thank aggiebust
Reviewed April 23, 2010

This place was great, not only because of the name (my name is Jay also). The seafood is incredibly fresh and bursting with flavor. The prices are quite reasonable for the level of quality. A great choice when you're in the Portsmouth area

Reviewed March 25, 2010

Have eaten here a few times based on everyone else seeming to love it. We just don't get it. If your specialty is seafood, it should be awesome, and it never has been above average for us.

1  Thank NH_Seacoast_Family