“HORRIBLE!!!”

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
Description: Located just two blocks down from Market Square in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jumpin' Jay's is a local foodie enclave serving refined seafood in a sleek restaurant setting. The quality of fare is unsurpassed, with fish arriving daily from local fisherman as well as some exotic catches from locations such as New Zealand and Ecuador. Four to six varieties of fish appear on the ever-changing "Catch of the Day" menu, complimented by your choice of gourmet sauce. Our raw bar offers an extensive variety of shellfish found in New Hampshire. Our specialties menu offers more traditional flavor, including Maine Crab Cakes, Haddock Piccata and our popular Linguine in White Clam Sauce. The atmosphere is casually hip, with no pretense. Reservations encouraged. Open seven nights a week.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I decided to do a last minute trip... First time in Portsmouth! Sooo I didn't do any "real" research on where to eat... It was a do whatever comes our way... We asked the valet guys where to go, they recommended this place.. We get there it was super casual... Reminds me of a diner... We sit down, I looked at him and said sometimes the food is to die for in these kinda places... Well die is right, we each got fish and seriously almost didn't make it back to our hotel room in time (if you know what I mean)!!! I would never recommend this place to anyone not even my worst enemy! Ruined our whole night :(
so the next day we drove to
Maine :)

1  Thank Peane

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Fun ambience, excellent service. The Halibut special was amazing and the oysters and watermelon vinagrette to die for !! Highly recommend !!!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This restaurant is excellent, freshest fish, great preparation. The service was great,. I would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

The food is good, but when I pay a good meal, I do not want to eat on a plastic table and chairs conference room. No comfort and the menu is very ordinary.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Incredibly delicious salmon! All food was fresh and tasty. Clam chowder was heavy on bacon flavor. Atmosphere was funky with jarring, raucous, irritating music.