“Fresh and Original” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe

Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 199 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
Description: Located just two blocks down from Market Square in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jumpin' Jay's is a local foodie enclave serving refined seafood in a sleek restaurant setting. The quality of fare is unsurpassed, with fish arriving daily from local fisherman as well as some exotic catches from locations such as New Zealand and Ecuador. Four to six varieties of fish appear on the ever-changing "Catch of the Day" menu, complimented by your choice of gourmet sauce. Our raw bar offers an extensive variety of shellfish found in New Hampshire. Our specialties menu offers more traditional flavor, including Maine Crab Cakes, Haddock Piccata and our popular Linguine in White Clam Sauce. The atmosphere is casually hip, with no pretense. Reservations encouraged. Open seven nights a week.
Connecticut
“Fresh and Original”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

The mussels pei app was delicious and a great start. I wanted to try something locally caught so I went with the monkfish with peas, baby carrots and russet potatoes. There's a choice of I believe 6 sauces to compliment your fish entree. I chose correctly with the lobster veloute, absolutely delicious. Not your standard fish and chips restaurant, this place definitely has a grade A chef at its controls, a must stop when in Portsmouth.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Vermont
“Perfect every time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were in Portsmouth for two nights and ate at Jumpin' Jay's both nights. Our waiter the first night was awesome (Brian is his name) and the food perfect each night. My husband had the haddock piccata both nights because he loved it so much and I had a halibut special the first night and my absolute favorite pan seared yellow fin tuna the second. We wish that Jumpin' Jay's was closer to our house as we would most likely dine there once a week! This is our go to restaurant in Portsmouth!

Visited June 2013
New Jersey
“Very Good Seafood Restaurant in Portsmouth”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife & I were passing through Portsmouth enroute to Maine. Decided to spend some time in this delightful town. Based on reviews that we saw we decided on Jumpin' Jay's for dinner and we are glad that we did. A very good seafood restaurant with a varied menu. A nice feature is being able to pick the sauce you want to go with your entree. We started with the raddichio & pear salad with pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and gorganzola cheese. A very good choice prepared in an unusual manner. For the main course my wife had salmon in a lobster sauce while I chose haddock picata. Both were served with smashed potato's and fresh vegtables. Both entree's were very good. This is definitely a restaurant that we would return to when next in Portsmouth.

• Visited June 2013
New Hampshire
“Fresh seafood !!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had dinner last night at Jumping Jay's and enjoyed it very much. We each had a glass of the Portsmouth punch which is a rum punch and it was really delicious. One of the best rum punches that we have had including those we have had in the Caribbean.I ordered the thi green curry seafood which was different types offish in a most tasty curry sauce. My husband ordered the scallops which he said were fantastic. The sides to his meal were mashed potatoes with peas and carrots. We ordered a piece of the key lime pie for dessert which was very good.
Portions were adequate and our server was very attentive and friendly. The restaurant is only open for dinner and we arrived at 5:30 shortly after it opened and were able to get seated right away. When we finished our dinner the restaurant looked pretty full. The total for our meal of 2 drinks, 2 entrees and 1 dessert was $85 without a tip. The food was very enjoyable and we will certainly return.

Visited June 2013
Acushnet, Massachusetts
“Not bad but I expected more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

We went to this restaurant based on reviews we read here. I have to say that I really expected more. I can't say that it was a bad experience but my expectations after reading the reviews here were higher. The décor here is pretty simple - nothing fancy. Big smell of seafood in the air. Yes, I know this is a seafood restaurant BUT.... Food was good. Tab was reasonable. I might go back - but with different expectations.

• Visited May 2013