“Very Good Seafood Restaurant in Portsmouth”

Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe
Ranked #4 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
Description: Located just two blocks down from Market Square in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jumpin' Jay's is a local foodie enclave serving refined seafood in a sleek restaurant setting. The quality of fare is unsurpassed, with fish arriving daily from local fisherman as well as some exotic catches from locations such as New Zealand and Ecuador. Four to six varieties of fish appear on the ever-changing "Catch of the Day" menu, complimented by your choice of gourmet sauce. Our raw bar offers an extensive variety of shellfish found in New Hampshire. Our specialties menu offers more traditional flavor, including Maine Crab Cakes, Haddock Piccata and our popular Linguine in White Clam Sauce. The atmosphere is casually hip, with no pretense. Reservations encouraged. Open seven nights a week.
New Jersey
“Very Good Seafood Restaurant in Portsmouth”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife & I were passing through Portsmouth enroute to Maine. Decided to spend some time in this delightful town. Based on reviews that we saw we decided on Jumpin' Jay's for dinner and we are glad that we did. A very good seafood restaurant with a varied menu. A nice feature is being able to pick the sauce you want to go with your entree. We started with the raddichio & pear salad with pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and gorganzola cheese. A very good choice prepared in an unusual manner. For the main course my wife had salmon in a lobster sauce while I chose haddock picata. Both were served with smashed potato's and fresh vegtables. Both entree's were very good. This is definitely a restaurant that we would return to when next in Portsmouth.

New Hampshire
“Fresh seafood !!!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had dinner last night at Jumping Jay's and enjoyed it very much. We each had a glass of the Portsmouth punch which is a rum punch and it was really delicious. One of the best rum punches that we have had including those we have had in the Caribbean.I ordered the thi green curry seafood which was different types offish in a most tasty curry sauce. My husband ordered the scallops which he said were fantastic. The sides to his meal were mashed potatoes with peas and carrots. We ordered a piece of the key lime pie for dessert which was very good.
Portions were adequate and our server was very attentive and friendly. The restaurant is only open for dinner and we arrived at 5:30 shortly after it opened and were able to get seated right away. When we finished our dinner the restaurant looked pretty full. The total for our meal of 2 drinks, 2 entrees and 1 dessert was $85 without a tip. The food was very enjoyable and we will certainly return.

Visited June 2013
Massachusetts
“Not bad but I expected more”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We went to this restaurant based on reviews we read here. I have to say that I really expected more. I can't say that it was a bad experience but my expectations after reading the reviews here were higher. The décor here is pretty simple - nothing fancy. Big smell of seafood in the air. Yes, I know this is a seafood restaurant BUT.... Food was good. Tab was reasonable. I might go back - but with different expectations.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Bankguy1961
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Look no further...best seafood in Portsmouth”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have lived in this community for quite some time and have tried almost every place in the area. We have been to the places on the water...and regardless of their views, the food does not compare. Nor does the service~The raw bar, the appetizers, and the entrees are all extremely well done. Best seafood I have had anywhere. People have said negative things about the pricing...but to be realistic in this area, it's the best value for the freshest, most inventive food. If you want better value, go to to a chain where you belong, with huge portions of previously frozen catches, there's an applebee's down the road :) Keep up the great work all! Amazing from start to finish.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unbelievable food, will definitely go back!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Four of us went for dinner, with a big variety of our preference for seafood. This place was amazing for all of us! The oysters were delicious, entrees fresh and exceptional, and wonderful desserts! 2 of the people with us don't live seafood so they ordered steak and chicken and those were amazing as well so you can't go wrong! For the seafood lovers, they have unique dishes and really fresh seafood. Would highly recommend to anyone!