“After Black Trumpet/Mossimo's I'd have to toss Jay's into the Top”

Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe
Ranked #6 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Middle Street, Maplewood Avenue, Islington Street
Description: Located just two blocks down from Market Square in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Jumpin' Jay's is a local foodie enclave serving refined seafood in a sleek restaurant setting. The quality of fare is unsurpassed, with fish arriving daily from local fisherman as well as some exotic catches from locations such as New Zealand and Ecuador. Four to six varieties of fish appear on the ever-changing "Catch of the Day" menu, complimented by your choice of gourmet sauce. Our raw bar offers an extensive variety of shellfish found in New Hampshire. Our specialties menu offers more traditional flavor, including Maine Crab Cakes, Haddock Piccata and our popular Linguine in White Clam Sauce. The atmosphere is casually hip, with no pretense. Reservations encouraged. Open seven nights a week.
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“After Black Trumpet/Mossimo's I'd have to toss Jay's into the Top”
Reviewed March 9, 2008

After Black Trumpet/Mossimo's I'd have to toss Jay's into the Top

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“This place is awesome! Some of the freshest seafood around. A little pricey, but the food is so great that you don't...”
Reviewed December 16, 2007

This place is awesome! Some of the freshest seafood around. A little pricey, but the food is so great that you don't even mind spending the money. Good wine list too. Usually pretty busy...must tell you something!!

Highly Recommended!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Columbus, Ohio
“GREAT RESTAURANT! Best Seafood! We went twice!”
Reviewed August 27, 2007

This is one good restaurant. Not cheap but not over the top and the freshest seafood prepared both traditionally and creatively. Fun atmosphere, great service, delicious seafood, nice wine list, what's to complain about? We were in Portsmouth for a three day weekend and went here our first night and actually returned our third night because it was that good. Highly recommended!

merrick, ny
“just okay”
Reviewed July 28, 2007

I had read all of the great reviews and couldn't wait to go here. I was unimpressed to say the least. Our reservation was honored, which was nice.

The drink I ordered, a pomegranate martini, tasted like all juice no alcohol. The shrimp cocktail was admittedly delicious. But the dish I ordered, scallops with linguine in a tomato, shallot, mushroom and white wine sauce, was bland at best, unedible at worst. The scallops were good, but the rest of the dish simply didn't go with it. Don't order it. I expected the server to ask me about this, since I left the entire plate of pasta over, but he didn't seem all that interested.

At the end of the meal, I went to the restroom, where I was met with a dead roach squashed on the floor. Yuk!

My husband's meal was very good, but all in all for the price we paid we were not satisfied and will not return.

1 Thank luvmykid
Ipswich, Massachusetts
“Don't be late or expect some consideration”
Reviewed March 31, 2007

We made reservations for 6:30 and with the traffic in Portsmouth and the lack of easy to find parking we were 17 minutes late. First told that after 30 minutes the table was given to another party and then told there were 2 seats at the bar, our party was five people. Also told the next available seating was at 9:15, even though no one was waiting. When I looked at the actual time we said wait a minute it is now only 6:47 were were promptly told it was 6:55 by her watch, my time is on my cell phone so it is pretty good. Then we were told all of the things we could have done but nothing about what they could do. We went to another place and they were busy too but quick to find us a spot in the line so we were willing to wait a bit. So, don't be late or really just go someplace else, plenty of choices in Portsmouth with better views and menus.

4 Thank georgebDanvers