“Cozy and well-patronized despite the snow outside!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Mediterraneo

Cafe Mediterraneo
Ranked #40 of 199 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Cozy and well-patronized despite the snow outside!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I ate here while getting ready to see Rick Steves at the Portsmouth Music Hall, at first I was the only one there and I kind of felt sorry for the staff, but soon more people showed up. This property has been featured on local cooking show "TV Diner," and while it does have a somewhat small waiting area near its front door, that wasn't too much of an issue though I could see where it would be if it got busy. I started off with a seafood chowder appetizer, it was warm and very satisfying. But that was just a start, my entree was the pasta alla putanesca, which I had with penne, drizzled with just enough marinara sauce to make it flavorful and not overpower the dish. I finished off with a limoncello gelato, which made me think I was there on the Amalfi coast although I haven't yet been to Italy! The menu does trend to the expensive side with the appetizers averaging around 8 to 12 dollars, with entrees averaging around 15 to 25 dollars. Melissa my waitress was very attentive and engaging, constantly refilling my water glass and replenishing my bread basket, all with a smile! If you're looking for Italian cuisine a cut above your typical Olive Garden experience, look no further than Cafe Mediterraneo!

Visited March 2013

Old Chatham, New York
“Good food, attractively priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Portsmouth has many excellent restaurants, and those in the top tier are not shy about pricing. Of the top 20, Cafe Mediterraneo is the only one we know of that offers a good meal in the $15-$20 range. We tried both the veal and chicken parmigiana. Both were fine, with the chicken slightly preferred because the veal seemed over sauced...a matter of preference, I suppose. We made a reservation, but had to wait a few minutes to be seated. The waiting area is awkward, as you are nearly standing on diners in the area.

• Visited February 2013
Dallas, Texas
“good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I liked this place. I'm not a picky eater...I like attentive service and good flavor and this place had both. There was some initial confusion upon walking in and no one was there to seat us. Once we were sat though, the waitress came over and was very friendly. We dined on a Monday evening.

I ordered the Lobster Ravioli and my business associate ordered the fillet (based on the waitresses recommendation). My dish was excellent. He said his steak was pretty good. Our water glasses were kept full. Make sure you ask for the garlic flavor olive oil served with the bread. Fantastic.

The total bill for both of us and a bottle of wine was about $90. The wine list is very reasonably priced.

If I'm in the area again, I'd go back and try it again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Boston
“Fantastic!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Great place, with beatiful decor and wonderful service. The food is fantastic and their prices are reasonable, wine and coctails choices are very good. Have been dining there for many years and have never been dissapointed.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Romacapoccia
Niantic, Connecticut
“great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We ended up showing up an hour early than our reservation, but the staff was very accommodating. We got a table right at 6:00p without a problem. The owner was there, which was a nice thing to see as many restaurant owners are never at their restaurant

Staff:
The staff was great. Our waitress was absolutely amazing and there was no time that our water and wine weren't full. I have read the negative reviews, but i just don't see it.

Food:
Some of the best Italian I have had. We loved their food and almost went back for a 2nd night. It was extremely tasty.

Ambiance,
Another great thing, very romantic, and it was also fun and chic. The restaurant was perfectly lit, not too dark or bright

Overall
If you are in Portsmouth, do yourself a favor and stop here to eat. Between the staff and the food, this place was great, and can't wait to go again next time I am up there.

Visited January 2013