“Reasonable and fun”
Review of State Street Saloon - CLOSED

State Street Saloon
Cuisines: American
Description: This place was affected by a fire on April 10, 2017.
Description: This place was affected by a fire on April 10, 2017.
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Stopped for a few beers and a lobster roll. 4.99 for lobster roll?? Unheard of and it wasn't bad. Plus $2 draft Buds. The barmaid was super friendly and it's a cute place. Nice surprise in Portsmouth.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

This dive is all about value for money. 4.99 for a lobster roll? Unheard of. 6.99 for lobster mac and cheese? Order 2.

We went on a Saturday night and the place was filled with locals packed into the bar and cougars on the prowl. A couple of my more gentile friends were a bit terrified. The Sox were losing and folks were getting a bit loud. Luckily we found the restaurant section (we milled around the bar area for a bit) and were seated by an extremely busy (but fantastic) server. This is a no frills experience, so please leave the poser "foodie" hats at the door. You're here for the value. The lobster roll was heaping with chunks of lobster and the mac and cheese was surprisingly large. They were also delicious. A fish and chips order and the classic burger were also devoured quite quickly.

Our group was very pleasantly surprised. I would totally go back, but likely for lunch on a weekday, lest I find myself in the arms of an amorous Saturday Night cougar.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

Our group of 10 actually ate lunch here 2 times over the course of our weekend visit. It was a great little spot for our group. There were lots of tv's around to watch football and just a nice atmosphere all around. The food was typical pub style but very tasty. The bloody mary's were the best I have ever had. Our waitress on Saturday was so awesome! I will definitely go back next time we are in Portsmouth.

Reviewed October 20, 2011

It's hard to find reasonably priced restaurants in this area but State Street is great! The seafood chowder is phenomenal and the lobster roll tasted very good too! They have $4.99 specials and for three of us eating and drinking iced tea we were out for $40.00 with tip. It does look like a bar inside which may bother some but it felt like a neighborhood place so I didn't mind. Service was very good too!

Reviewed September 13, 2011

The best chowder I have ever had...I only had a cup, but should had got a bowl! I am back in Kentucky craving more of it.
The atmosphere and service is also great! I felt like I was at Cheers!!
Will definately keep on my list for next time I am visiting the area.