“Great beer in downtown Portsmouth”
Review of Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth Brewery
Ranked #9 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Welcome to New Hampshire's original brewpub, a landmark in downtown Portsmouth's thriving restaurant scene since 1991. Our wide-ranging menu is complemented by a selection of our own unique, hand-crafted beers, as well as selected guest beers, including hard-to-find selections from our sister company, Smuttynose Brewing Co. Come for the beer. Stay for the food. We serve all types!
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Good food, great beer, fun atmosphere. Fun for catching a game or with the family. Mediterranean twist on traditional bar food.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

The beer selection was good and they offered a nice variety. The food was okay, nothing that stood out. I had the chopped salad and it was dry ran a little on the high side 12.95$. I did also have the pretzel which had a good dipping sauce the high light for food. Overall this brewery is fine for ordering beer, but in the food department they lack portion and execution.

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I first found this place while I was a student at a state university close by; and though I can't get here as often as I would like to I am still visiting 20 years later.
Craft beer drinkers will appreciate this place the most, although you can ask for any mixed drink that you want. Some of the brews have been served there forever (old brown dog) but they also serve seasonal brews and brew contest winner brews. You can ask to try a brew before buying a full serving. The menu is geared to food that tastes good with craft beer. The pastrami sandwich is very popular, with good reason. Atmosphere is bright and airy for a brewpub; and the place always appears clean. Service can be a little slow, but I think it's due to pretty thin staffing. The bar area is pleasant albeit small; there are also a few couches and comfortable chairs in that area if you can't get a spot at the bar. This place is in the fantastic downtown area with plenty of shops and other entertainment venues close by. Stop in when you visit Portsmouth.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I used to love coming here. After an absence of a few years, I returned to find that the menu has changed substantially. I had a difficult time finding a selection that I wanted to order and the quality of the food was terrible. Everyone that I was with was disappointed. The place is still always busy, so people must still like it.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is my second trip to this gem of a brewery. I came here a year ago while scoping out places to go on my honeymoon, and again this year, on my honeymoon. We stopped in to have some apps and drinks. Ended up having way more of both than expected! The service was OUTSTANDING!!! My first visit I had some friend Chick peas, they weren't on the menu when I was here in Oct. 2013 so I asked about them. She said since they still haev hummus on the menu, this should be doable. Sure enough! She brought them out after a few minutes and were as excellent as I remembered!! I had several of their fresh beers and several other small plates as well. Everything was fantastic, as expected!