“Great location for lunch”
Review of Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth Brewery
Ranked #9 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Welcome to New Hampshire's original brewpub, a landmark in downtown Portsmouth's thriving restaurant scene since 1991. Our wide-ranging menu is complemented by a selection of our own unique, hand-crafted beers, as well as selected guest beers, including hard-to-find selections from our sister company, Smuttynose Brewing Co. Come for the beer. Stay for the food. We serve all types!
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Ducked in for lunch and a cold one on a hot summer day. Server was very knowledgeable about beer choices-loved the strawberry rhubarb beer. All fish dishes were good-fish tacos and salad with salmon. Chicken wrap was also a hit. Sat for awhile as a respite from the heat and never felt rushed. Solid lunch menu; good value and portions. Would go back. Sat in the main room near the tanks.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,090)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were originally going to another establishment - until I asked the clerk at a gift shop to help me chose from 3 places. I read her body language more than I listened to her words and we did stop into the other 2 places later after dinner. We made the right choice. The beer selection is amazing - if you like beer and can't find something here I don't think any place could please you. More importantly, the food was thoroughly enjoyed by our entire family (my husband and 3 adult children). There are several TVs for watching sporting events. Our waitress was attentive and friendly.

1  Thank Nancy S
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Fresh brewed beers are great. Had the Ginger Ninja and the Double Wit. Both excellent. The scenery inside is fun and interesting, but the smell of dirty mop water in the entryway was a turn-off. It's a common problem with busy restaurants, but one that keeps me from rating a place highly. The lounge downstairs seemed appealing at first, because it was very hot outside and nice and cool down below, but the place smelled musty and turned us right back upstairs.

If they'd just pay attention to better sanitation, I'd go again. Like I said, the beer was worthwhile!

1  Thank rustyruss
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Very good! Loved their flatbread special. The only problem is how crowded and loud it way. But the food was go good, that the loudness was forgotton about. not really a family restaurant.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I stopped for dinner on our way home to Maine after a day in Boston. We did get right in and were seated at 6:30. We were seated on the upper level and could only converse if we yelled at each other. The waitress tried to tell us the specials, which we did finally get. For an appetizer we ordered salsa and chips. It was slow to arrive. Our corn chowder was very good. Caesar Salad was ok. Their special pretzel rolls I guess are an acquired taste. We both thought that they had a "different" taste. Our waitress was very busy but was attentive and pleasant. Prices were typical of pub style restaurants.