“Had a great time”

Ranked #10 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to New Hampshire's original brewpub, a landmark in downtown Portsmouth's thriving restaurant scene since 1991. Our wide-ranging menu is complemented by a selection of our own unique, hand-crafted beers, as well as selected guest beers, including hard-to-find selections from our sister company, Smuttynose Brewing Co. Come for the beer. Stay for the food. We serve all types!
Reviewed April 7, 2008

We went to the brewery for lunch this weekend. It was very busy and we had a 20-30 min. wait. So we strolled around the shops and went back and got right in. My husband had the burger and I had soup & salad, plus we tried a couple of their beers. Service and food were very good. Definitely worth going back.

Reviewed March 11, 2008

We went to the Portsmouth Brewery mainly because my fiance loves to try new beers. We were seated fairly quickly, it took a few minutes for the waitress to come by, but once she came the first time she quickly returned each time.

I had their own root beer. It needed more carbonation, and I didn't realize it was their own until it was served and I tend to not like these non-commercial root beers.
He ordered a sampler of 10 beers for under $8. The beer was above average but not by a landslide, but it was well made.

Their menu was descent. We both had sandwhiches that were pretty good. Couldn't complain too much about the food although it didn't make me want to go tell everyone how much I loved it either.

We would try it again, but wouldn't necessarily put it on the top of our prioriety list.

1  Thank nhtravelers8
Reviewed February 29, 2008

My fiancee is a beer connoisseur, and he LOVES this place. We always go in and order three things: the latest beer taster, a plate of the curried mussels and a plate of the cream ale mussels. YUM! The mussels are reasonably-priced and filling, and come with a side of warm toast to dip into their fabulous sauce. The curry has a bite to it, which we like, and we always mix and match off each other's plate. We enjoy trying all of the new beers that they come out with each season! Much better than your average homogenized mass-production beer. Since it's made on-site you can generally speak to the Brewmaster if you think it needs alterations.

1  Thank terabyte240
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 23, 2007

food and beer are great...very noisy

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Massachusetts
Reviewed December 16, 2007

Good place to go for pub like fair with good brew. Your expectations should not be those of a 5star restaurant. I'd go back.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook