“Planned Spontaneity - called ahead and got a table on the spot”
Review of Martingale Wharf

Martingale Wharf
Reserve with OpenTable
Martingale Wharf is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 205 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Features an expansive deck overlooking Portsmouth Harbor, lounge with one of a kind 360 degree bar, and a diverse menu appealing to all palates.
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

The view, spectacular! The table, great! The apps & salad, lovely. Our entree' delicious. Our server, pleasant. The meal priced accordingly, the time we spent together, priceless.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have now been there 4 times and strictly because of the view and NEVER EVER for the experience. I went there once for dinner and we waited 25 minutes till our waitress came over. It was terrible. Then my filet mignon was raw...had to send it back...not rare raw. It was disgusting. Then the second time I got it back it was the same piece of meat and it tasted like soot from a gas grill. Terrible! :( All other three times I went for drinks and appetizers. VERY slow service. Saturday night was the most recent experience and takes that cake for our experience for sure. We waited on the deck 20 minutes after being seated and when we said something to the waitress she said, "It wasn't 20 minutes I saw you guys get seated". Are u kidding me!!!! ?? We all looked at our phones when we sat down since we had dinner reservations so we knew it had been 20 minutes. Also WHY would she say that? She was admitting to ignoring us for 20 minutes? This is such a shame that such a beautiful place like that and you cant just enjoy it due to terrible service!

3  Thank jjanac
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The Wharf is a beautiful restaurant with a great view of Portsmouth harbor. It is well furnished inside, has a nice deck outside for warmer weather. If it is cool they also have a big basket of blankets! As we were having lunch one of the harbor seals came swimming by to check things out! I digress. The lunch menu is fairly small but with quality dishes. The Cuban sandwich is excellent. Service was friendly and efficient, and the bar offers a wide selection of drinks and wine. Come to the Wharf for a relaxing lunch with a view!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Eh.... Mediocre, expensive food. The atmosphere is supposed to be swanky. I found it loud and not unique. I had a haddock sandwich that had no flavor. I had a very expensive glass of wine that tasted cheap. If I wanted good seafood, I should have gone to Jumpin Jays.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Paid a second visit to Martingale Wharf this past week. We had previously been there during the summer - eating on their deck that overlooks the river in Portsmouth. Great time that day and we thought we'd try it again - this tine eating indoors.
Atmosphere is great - the tables surround the bar area. While we were at a table (there were 4 of us) the bar seemed to be a preferred area for couples.
Menu was had a very good selection of both appetizers and entrees. Between the 4 of us we sampled 4 different appetizers and everyone's opinion was high. I don't recall the salad choices - but I had a Thai lobster bisque that was fantastic. Another person had the ribs which fell off the bone.
Entrees - 2 had steaks, and were raved about. My wife had haddock which she felt was cooked to perfection. I had a lobster ravioli which was good - and would have been even better had they been cooked a little longer. I like some pasta dishes al dente - but some of the ravioli were under cooked.
They do have a dessert menu - but none of us are into dessert so I can't comment on it.
Prices of the dishes are a little on the high side - but very comparable with the restaurants in the Portsmouth area.
Atmosphere of the place we all thought was great. Everyone agreed it would be nice to go back and have a drink and an appetizer some time at the bar. The Thai Lobster bisque I thought was great and I can see myself back at the bar with a bowl, a roll, and a drink. Even better will be to do that this summer out on the deck!

1  Thank rccnh