“Great view - get a new chef!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Martingale Wharf

Martingale Wharf
Ranked #50 of 199 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Features an expansive deck overlooking Portsmouth Harbor, lounge with one of a kind 360 degree bar, and a diverse menu appealing to all palates.
New Hampshire
“Great view - get a new chef!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have been looking forward to visiting the hottest new spot in Portsmouth. Our experience was similar to others - fantastic space, great view, below average food. I am a native of Portsmouth. My husband and I like to frequent local eateries in the off season. The crowds are smaller and it is vital that we support our local businesses when the snow flys!

I cannot say enough about the great job they have done with the space, And who could ever get tired of that view?

We were having a late lunch/early dinner. I ordered a bowl of clam chowder and a salad. The salad was very nice, but unremarkable for the price. The chowder was nicely presented, but the portion size was meager to be kind. Although it was tasty, it did not taste of clams - at all. If I had not known it was the only cream soup on the menu, I would have thought they had brought me the wrong item. My husband ordered a meat ball sub. Who can mess up a meat ball sub? I now have an answer to that question. He described the meat balls as somewhat like cement. Neither of us are fussy eaters, but at those prices, we had expected more.

In Portsmouth, where we have as many restaurant seats as residents, no place can afford to not put out a quality product. I hope the Martingale Wharf gets their act together before their window of opportunity closes.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

new hampshire
“Fun atmosphere - Very Expensive Bad Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I went here two weeks ago with a group of friends. The atmosphere is fun, though quite loud, not good for conversation. Service was great but the food was not - tiny portions and all of our seafood was raw - I know many folks like rare food but not me - my fault for not requesting well done but still when you are paying a lot of $ they should advise you - might go back for drinks & apps but not for dinner

• Visited February 2013
New Hampshire Seacoast
“If only the food were as good as the decor...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Hit or miss describes my experiences here. On a positive note, the design and materials used throughout the restaurant are very nice. However, the food needs more attention. My most recent visit was with a group of 10 and depending on what was ordered, half of the people were pleased, the other half unimpressed. The food lacks the quality and detail that really good restaurants have and the consistency is lacking. The prices are consistent with other fine quality restaurants but seem too high given the execution.

• Visited December 2012
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“We liked it a lot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Despite other reviews, we liked the restaurant. We liked the TVs in the dining room, mostly because there was a football game on and my husband got to glance without ignoring me completely. The bar was fun, a plus when you can go for an afterdinner drink in the next room. The food was overall pretty good, I didn't like the crabcakes but he liked his mussels. We split a pasta which was good. Service was excellent. Wish we could have had a table by the window but we were happy to get in easily on a Saturday night. By later in the evening it was really busy. We'll go back.

• Visited January 2013
Budapest, Hungary
“Over priced and the food is BAD!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I live in Portsmouth nh and eat out a lot! Although this restaurant is in a great location the chef needs to be replaced. To put it simply I'd rather have a burger at MickyD's at least it would be hot and a reasonably good value. I have tried three times, the last with a gift card, I wish I had gotten a gift card to a good restaurant.

2 Thank Don D