“Worth the view but tastes good too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Martingale Wharf

Martingale Wharf
Ranked #49 of 201 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Features an expansive deck overlooking Portsmouth Harbor, lounge with one of a kind 360 degree bar, and a diverse menu appealing to all palates.
South Berwick, Maine
“Worth the view but tastes good too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had lunch here on a Saturday. The location on Portsmouth's working waterfront is amazing. I had read some reviews on this site that the menu was a little pricey but they offered lunch special that were very reasonable. We shared the buttery fries as an appetizer and they were tasty and just the right amount for 3 people. Two in the party built their own deli sandwiches (with plenty of options) and I had the field green salad and asked for goat cheese to be added and they were fine with that. The desserts of flan and red velvet cupcakes were perfect. It was a wonderful time - we weren't rushed at all and my husband loved the Italian Surfer cocktail. I would recommend this restaurant for lunch or dinner if it was a special occasion. You can't beat the atmosphere. Can't wait to go back on a sunny day to enjoy the deck with the gas heaters.

• Visited November 2012

Manchester, New Hampshire
“Wonderful views on cozy outdoor deck”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We arrived early evening - about 5:30 - and were seated on the deck next to a giant gas heater - very warm despite 50 degree weather. The service was fast and friendly - our server even offered us blankets if we weren't warm enough. The views are wonderful of the river, tugboats, shore beyond. We started with the lobster pumpkin soup - perfect and I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie. We both ordered the crab cakes - wonderful! Neither of us had a big appetite, so just had the two small items, plus glasses of wine (nice selection). The ambiance was so wonderful, we hated to leave! I gave it four stars since we didn't order entrees but we look forward to returning to sample more of the menu.

New Hampshire
“I think they read the reviews and have worked hard to improve”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

What a gorgeous place! The deck is lovely and the heating units and fire pit perfect nuances to enjoy a stellar view. I agree with some others that the service was slow but extremely friendly. Most everything I had was terrific. The salad/brie/arugula was to die for. The filet was delicious. Only complaint here is I ordered the larger choice, 10 oz compared to 3 oz but no way was it 10 oz. I think they mixed it up but was a pharmaceutical dinner so didn't speak up. They still have some finishing touches to make it truly shine but just about there. It started smoothly but got very bogged down after the salad course. We didn't get out till close to 10 pm and got our desserts to go as it was just too late. Apparently, this was their first big group event so given that, I can't wait to go back. They need to fix the sound though. Very loud blower and music in bar so hearing the speaker was a challenge. I will return. For being so new, it's terrific!

1 Thank NewHampshirePeppie
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Poor Food, Bad Service, Crazy Price”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

The only good thing about Martingale wharf is the view. The service was horrific. We were there with another couple and all four of our meals were poor. One meal was cold, one was undercooked, one was overcooked and the fourth had no floavor whatsoever. The bill was 300 before tip for four meals and salads and two drinks each. Ridiculous when you consider the food and the service were very poor. Our waitress seemed too busy chatting with people (friends) at the bar to care about how we were doing. The attitude from everyone in there was not appreciated.. Go elesewhere while you are in Portsmouth.

8 Thank onlygoodnewsonfriday
Newfields, New Hampshire
“great place for a drink, unremarkable for a meal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Several other reviewers nailed it, so I'll just pitch in my 2 cents. The view, decor and style of the place is amazing. Beautiful deck, spacious interior, attractive bar. The place where they fall short is with the food. I went there with my wife on this past Sunday evening. We chose to sit inside. I started with an Italian Surfer drink (coconut rum, amaretto, pineapple juice and cranberry, I think). Very tasty, but served in a narrow tall glass with lots of ice.

The menu seemed a bit uninspired. For dinner, my wife ordered a wedge salad and the rib eye steak. I got the pork rib eye. The wedge salad was good. I liked the flavor of the candied bacon, but the blue cheese dressing tasted like mayo to me. Her rib eye was cooked to a correct medium rare, but it carried with it a burnt, chemical grill taste I didn't care for. My pork rib eye was cooked well but the sauce they provided added little flavor. The sides of wax and green beans were unremarkable. Her sides of a cheesy scalloped potato was decent enough. My meal also came with a roast pork stuffed squash blossom that was deep fried. Both my wife and I tasted it and felt that the ground pork stuffing tasted stale.

While I would definitely come back for a drink (the view is very nice), there are simply too many good restaurants in Portsmouth that one can choose from that you'd be much better off spending that money elsewhere.

• Visited September 2012