“Poor Food, Bad Service, Crazy Price”
Review of Martingale Wharf

Martingale Wharf
Ranked #50 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Features an expansive deck overlooking Portsmouth Harbor, lounge with one of a kind 360 degree bar, and a diverse menu appealing to all palates.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Poor Food, Bad Service, Crazy Price”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The only good thing about Martingale wharf is the view. The service was horrific. We were there with another couple and all four of our meals were poor. One meal was cold, one was undercooked, one was overcooked and the fourth had no floavor whatsoever. The bill was 300 before tip for four meals and salads and two drinks each. Ridiculous when you consider the food and the service were very poor. Our waitress seemed too busy chatting with people (friends) at the bar to care about how we were doing. The attitude from everyone in there was not appreciated.. Go elesewhere while you are in Portsmouth.

• Visited October 2012
8 Thank onlygoodnewsonfriday

Newfields, New Hampshire
“great place for a drink, unremarkable for a meal”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Several other reviewers nailed it, so I'll just pitch in my 2 cents. The view, decor and style of the place is amazing. Beautiful deck, spacious interior, attractive bar. The place where they fall short is with the food. I went there with my wife on this past Sunday evening. We chose to sit inside. I started with an Italian Surfer drink (coconut rum, amaretto, pineapple juice and cranberry, I think). Very tasty, but served in a narrow tall glass with lots of ice.

The menu seemed a bit uninspired. For dinner, my wife ordered a wedge salad and the rib eye steak. I got the pork rib eye. The wedge salad was good. I liked the flavor of the candied bacon, but the blue cheese dressing tasted like mayo to me. Her rib eye was cooked to a correct medium rare, but it carried with it a burnt, chemical grill taste I didn't care for. My pork rib eye was cooked well but the sauce they provided added little flavor. The sides of wax and green beans were unremarkable. Her sides of a cheesy scalloped potato was decent enough. My meal also came with a roast pork stuffed squash blossom that was deep fried. Both my wife and I tasted it and felt that the ground pork stuffing tasted stale.

While I would definitely come back for a drink (the view is very nice), there are simply too many good restaurants in Portsmouth that one can choose from that you'd be much better off spending that money elsewhere.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank Enjoy_NH
Hanover
“Menu not perfected, service slow”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We had great expectations of the new Martingale Wharf and are assuming that the menu is just not perfected. The pretzel encrusted calamari comes over breaded and in a cone shaped bowl. By the time you are half way through the calamari on the bottom is soggy - a few pieces were great however they need to "tweak" the quantity of breading & bowl.
Fish tacos were excellent.
Bacon Wrapped Cod had soggy, undercooked bacon - major disappointment.
Way too much salt in the Steak Frites dish.
Waiters seemed to like to socialize with friends more than take care of customers, actually saw the host/manager sit down with a table - found that odd. Tried several of their signature drinks and one after another - just not good. Wonder if they either have their bartenders try their own drinks or poor judgement on the quality of the mixers.
Overall hoping they get it together - place is beautiful, great seating options either at the bar - where we sat or outside - beautiful views.

• Visited August 2012
4 Thank NHishome
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“What a view!!! Best dining deck in Portsmouth! Plus Gluten Free!!!”
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

After hearing mixed reviews, my wife and I decided to give it a chance. It was a beautiful evening and sat outside, what a great view, something Portsmouth needs more of. The food was great but small portions which left room for desert!

We had a wonderful experience and would recommend this as a great place for dinner and drinks!

2 Thank Randy G
Nashua NH
“Should be so much better”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

OK, so they are only open a month or so, and perhaps need to work things out. I so wanted to love this new dining option to Portsmouth, but there are some serious problems. First, on the positive side, the restaurant both in and out is beautiful. There is a huge massive outdoor deck with stunning water views, beautiful bar inside, nice room for private functions and a great casual lounge for informal drinking/dining. The wait staff is fine, and food arrives from the kitchen within a reasonable time, but the quality of the food and drink does not warrant the price or measure up tot the caliber of the other Portsmouth dining options.

We've been now twice, our first visit was for dinner, and be advised that the restaurant does not take reservations. We arrived on a friday eve on 6pm and found the deck booked solid and were told it would be an hour or more, so we chose to eat inside. We started with two martini's from the bar, and while not bad, bother were served rather warm. Our dinner entrees were average, slightly smaller than expected and while I don't enjoy my food served at a very hot temperature, I think many diners would have found their entrees "cold" and sent them back. We ordered the dessert special, a home made peanut butter chocolate cupcake, and also found it to be poor. Too sweet, and just nothing special. Dinner was over $100 for two. While we had a nice server, nobody really ever asked if we liked our food. You would think a new restaurant would have lots of staff asking "how is everything" and they are not asking. We saw no manager, chef, etc... asking for feedback from anybody. Perhaps because the place is mobbed with a line out the door.

We returned yesterday for lunch to give it another shot. This time we snagged a table on the deck. The lunch menu is pretty simple. We started again with Martini's and this time I did send my unacceptable drink back to be prepared properly. I ordered a basic lemon drop martini, and was served something completely different. Our waitress agreed that it didn't look right. The replacement was excellent, and cold! The various lunch entrees were just OK, a hamburger with fries was good. Lobster roll good. Some of us ordered a cup of chowder which was tasty, but was presented with soggy croutons on top. I had a fish taco ($5), which I think they expect you to order one or more, and this was the saddest fish taco ever presented to me. One small cold tortila topped with an overly thick battered piece of white fish the size of my pinky finger, and three strands of cabbage. That's it, no sauce crema, no lettuce, nothing else on the plate. I had to refrain from laughing when it was presented. Again, only $5, but really? Most of the lunch entrees were about $13-$17 otherwise.

So, maybe this place is new, and happy with the overwhelming crowds, but at some point I think the management needs to ask how they are doing. There is much room for improvement on the quality of the food and drink if they plan to compete in this town with so many excellent dining choices.

• Visited August 2012